How long to wait for job application replies?

Forum rules
A school details template is available, if required, for updating information or adding a topic for a new school. Links: UAE schools | UAE universities | UAE MBA courses

How long to wait for job application replies?

Postby fractal » 01 May 2008, 19:34

First off, thanks for the great site, I spent hours reading or just browsing and bookmarking topics for later - it is fantastic to have such a collection at one's fingertips!

Apologies that I start with a question, without contributing anything useful before that but here we are... I have been sending out applications in response to various job ads (mostly posted by universities, though a few seem to be posted by recruiters), and have had very few replies. What is considered "normal" response time? In case one's application is deemed unacceptable, is it customary to acknowledge that fact, or is the application just ignored?

Sorry to sound like a stressed-out newbie (I am not like that; more a wahda-wahda type) but I am trying to figure out what to expect, realistically.

Thanks for every and any bit of advice you care to share! :)
fractal
visitor

Job application waiting

Postby shawarma » 04 May 2008, 19:37

Hi fractal, thanks for the comments and welcome to the Dubai school forum :)

Response time can vary a lot, from days to weeks or even longer so it's hard to give an average.

Generally though, if you don't hear anything after a month, you could probably forget about that organisation.

One thing is fairly sure though, companies rarely let you know if they're not interested.

You best approach is to fire off an application, and then forget about it, move on to your next application. If you're really desparate to know what happened, you could phone the company but chances are they'll say sorry, not processed yet and they'll be in touch. Which usually means your application has been rejected.

I know this sounds a bit cynical but if you look at it from the perspective of the company, they might be receiving hundreds or even thousands of applications, so it's impractical to respond to every one of them.

Hope that doesn't disillusion you too much, and good luck with your job search :).
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Re: How long to wait for job application replies?

Postby fractal » 11 May 2008, 12:28

Thank you very much - and apologies for my own late reply! :oops:
fractal
visitor

Re: How long to wait for forum replies?

Postby shawarma » 11 May 2008, 21:16

fractal wrote:and apologies for my own late reply! :oops:

Haha, no problem :).
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Return to Education in the UAE