[Update] Dubai car import

Pages that don't fit anywhere else, or pages under development.

[Update] Dubai car import

Postby shawarma » 06 Dec 2008, 14:09

It's possible to import a car to Dubai but complicated. You'd need to check on export procedures for the country where you're from first, then arrange shipping (probably several thousand dollars). The shipping company should be able to provide you with more specific details on export and import.

After importing to Dubai, you'd then have to register it with the traffic department. If your car is RHD, I think you have to convert it.

Also, if it's an old car, bear in mind the rules on ownership are changing in the UAE - if it's more than 10 years old, you cannot transfer ownership which means you can't really sell it, and it may mean you can't register an imported car.

Here's more about importing cars to Dubai.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Re: Dubai car import

Postby shawarma » 22 Feb 2016, 13:23

Some of that previous information might be out of date. I don't know if the 10 year ownership limit still applies. I own a car that is older than 10 years and is still registered, although I haven't tried to sell it.

Getting comprehensive insurance for cars over 10 years old in Dubai and UAE is very difficult ... or almost impossible (usually only if you start insurance at less than 10 years and continue to renew with same company, but eventually they'll stop with the fully comprehensive and only offer third party).

I don't know any shipping companies to recommend sorry. A friend used Gulf Agency Co. (Dubai) LLC in Jebel Ali (gac.com) for a car shipment. Was about AED 20,000 from UAE to UK door-to-door a couple of years ago (might have been cost for complete 20 ft container). I presume it was ok I didn't hear anything about the car falling off the boat.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Return to Dubai sandbox