The World by Nakheel

Forum rules
To buy or sell property, please use the Dubai classifieds section. Links: Dubai real estate agents

The World by Nakheel

Postby shawarma » 11 Jan 2008, 23:47

The World, Dubai - dubaifaqs.com information.

The World is one of Nakheel's ambitious offshore projects, a collection of islands dredged up about 4 km off the coast of Dubai, and built in the shape of the world (which is what everyone knows by now). Projects / islands with separate topics include:

Further comments, discussion, questions, information. Got something to say? Add it to this topic :)...

Do islands include infrastructure or not? In March 2004 press release from Nakheel was this line, but since then I've heard not even infrastructure is included, just the island? The World website says there will be basic infrastructure at service hubs, with power generation and water supply.
According to Nakheel the land and infrastructure only will be sold to investors and then it will be their responsibility to construct the buildings, as they require on their islands.

Some of the rumoured purchases:

Sir Richard Branson planted a British flag on the island of Great Britain in March 2006 as part of a promotional visit to launch Virgin flights between Dubai and the UK, not to buy the island.

How big is The World?

It seems to be a different size everytime Nakheel sends out a press release, ranging from the equivalent of a large shopping mall to a medium sized (real) country. And I've seen one report in the media giving it the a size of a small carpark.

Area including water is about 55 sq km.
Land area only, I think is about 9.3 sq km (trying to interpret the press releases) but if anyone can point me to a source that confirms that...?
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

VC Bank development

Postby shawarma » 22 May 2008, 11:33

Updated first post with VC Bank resort link.
shawarma

Aquitainia

Postby shawarma » 14 Jul 2008, 13:58

Updated first post with Aquitainia - on the islands of France & Spain
shawarma

Jal Aashwa & Siberia

Postby shawarma » 02 Oct 2008, 01:02

Added:

Jal Aashwa - villa complex on Somalia (reported 28 September 2008)
Siberia resort Dubai - a Limitless development on The World on the island of Siberia (reported 22 September 2008)
shawarma

Re: The World by Nakheel

Postby beatwin » 14 Oct 2008, 09:56

Reportedly, one island was gifted to michael schumacher, and Brad pitt and angelina jolie owns another island. How many more islands are sold and to whom? Any idea?
beatwin

Michael Schumacher The World

Postby shawarma » 14 Oct 2008, 10:27

Hi beatwin and welcome to the Dubai forums :).

Here's a list of The World islands with information about who owns what - at least information that's publicly available. Many more islands have been sold of course, but I think Nakheel doesn't release that information without the approval of the owners. Schumacher was rumoured to have been given an island in Antarctica (I don't know if that's ever been confirmed or denied), and Brangelina the island of Ethiopia but that was subsequently denied.
shawarma

UK and Moscow Dubai

Postby shawarma » 18 Jan 2009, 18:44

Added UK Dubai and Moscow Dubai topics to first post
shawarma

The World by Nakheel

Postby shawarma » 19 Jan 2009, 22:49

There was a report in The National today (or tomorrow 20 January 2009 in the print edition) with an update about The World.

• Hamza Mustafa, the director of The World (isn't that a great title ;)) was reported to have said he had 100 islands left to sell, prices from AED 55 to AED 200 million.
  • There are about 80 sub-developers waiting to start work (or dragging their feet), Nakheel is trying to get about 25 projects underway in 2009. It's fairly apparent to anyone standing on the Dubai coast that not much is happening at present.
  • Penguin Marine Boats Services is set to deliver up to 5,000 construction workers each day and 1,200 containers per week from February 2009.
  • Nakheel plans to establish a cement plant on one island, and laborer accommodation.
  • Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) will provide power and water (we hope).
  • Aquitania was reported to be planning a construction start later in 2009
  • V...Greece was reported to be starting construction in March 2009
shawarma

Madagascar Malaysia Sumatra

Postby shawarma » 28 Jan 2009, 00:22

Added Madagascar and Malaysia Sumatra links to first post (all Tony Ashai designs - there are 2 more islands being designed by him according to the Ashai Designs website). Also Oasis Group D43 island.
shawarma

Ireland island Dubai

Postby shawarma » 03 Mar 2009, 11:15

Ireland in the Sun topic added.
shawarma

Postby oAdam27o » 18 Jun 2009, 14:58

Hi, this is my first post at the UAE forums.

Some of you might be interested that I have created a plot map on a different forum site.
It contains most of the projects that have been released but I still need help completing it. Also you might find it useful for these forums.
Anyway take a look, tell me what you think and post any new info.
Thanks Adam.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=885634
oAdam27o
visitor

The World plot map

Postby shawarma » 18 Jun 2009, 15:46

Hello adam and welcome to the Dubai forums and nice work there :).

You beat me to it ;). I was working on a database from a similar (maybe the same) plot map and some other information I had, but as is often the case with databases, what seems like a good idea at the time ends up getting more complicated and taking longer than you think.

Anyway, if you're subscribed to this topic, you'll automatically get notified about any updates - if I add new topics or information, I usually update this topic also.
shawarma

Postby oAdam27o » 18 Jun 2009, 19:56

Thanks.

The map that I had to work with is a bit dated, some of the islands have now been merged together to create more land space. However the plot names and numbers remain mostly the same. If you have a more up-to-date large plot map let me know and I'll rework it.

I've already spent a good few hours on it over the past 2 weeks or so, but I think I'm now more or less up to date on what's been released now. Anyway your right, it dose take a hell of a lot longer than you first think. ;)

I have now subscribed thank you. But I think you should consider joining SkyScraperCity, we could use another knowledgeable former like yourself in the UAE section. :D
oAdam27o
visitor

Return to Dubai property