Wanting to work in UAE

[Forum locked indefinitely]
Forum rules
[Forum locked indefinitely] Classified ads should not contain links. Title should have brief item description with location, say For Sale or Wanted. Posts without this information will be deleted. Spam will be deleted along with username and all their posts.

Wanting to work in UAE

Postby Aitch » 18 Nov 2008, 09:41

Good afternoon

My name is Heather, I have recently been made redundant from my Executive Assistant role with a top4 bank in Australia. I have always wanted to do a 2 or 3 year working stint in the Middle East for the challenge and experience.

Could you pls advise me as I've been receiving mixed information.

Am I able to apply for roles whilst still in Australia, it appears that half the roles I apply for stipulate whether they want a national or a westerner.

Or, am I better off arriving in the Middle East and then apply for positions within my field.

Thanks for your time.

Heather
Aitch
visitor

UAE job applications

Postby shawarma » 18 Nov 2008, 10:12

Hi aitch and welcome to the UAE forum :).

Both methods can work. A disadvantage of applying for jobs within the UAE as that you are more likely to be seen as a "local hire" and miss out on benefits such as accommodation and flights, but you may be more likely to be offered a job then. You can still negotiate for an overseas package from within the UAE. It may be a good idea to spend a month applying from overseas to see if you get any responses. If you get none, then rethink your application strategy. If you get loads then you should be in a good position to come to the UAE and pick and choose something.

Companies will often advertise for Emirati nationals only. There are emiratisation policies in place for some industries, and one advantage for the company is that Emiratis don't need work permits or residence visas. Here's more information for you ...

Cost of living UAE
Jobs in the UAE
UAE employment agencies
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Return to UAE classifieds