Middlesex University Dubai

Forum rules
A school details template is available, if required, for updating information or adding a topic for a new school.

Middlesex University Dubai

Postby Ellie » 04 Aug 2008, 18:26

I was job hunting and noticed that Middlesex University Dubai has lots of vacancies on its website - does anyone know why that is?

I heard that it was not a good place to work but couldn't get any details - is anyone able to provide some more information for me?
Are the academic staff supported? Do they get paid properly?
Their website says there is a new Director - has he made any improvements?
What about research?

Any information would be appreciated.
Ellie
visitor

Middlesex University Dubai - academic standards

Postby Ellie » 04 Aug 2008, 21:24

I read somewhere that Middlesex University Dubai was not accredited by the UAE Ministry of Education; is this still the case?

In my quest for more information I stumbled across the university rankings from The Guardian newspaper. Middlesex appears in 111th place out of 120 institutes see education.guardian.co.uk/universityguide2009. The teaching score is virtually the same for 2008 and 2009 at a derisory 37.88% and 37.90% respectively. As Middlesex Dubai's website talks about providing high quality British education can this really be true?

Does anyone have any experiences or knowledge they can share to shed some light on the situation?
Ellie
visitor

Re: Middlesex University Dubai - a good employer?

Postby zelda » 05 Aug 2008, 19:57

answers to some of your questions ......

they are always looking for new staff 'cos staff turnover is high

they pay better than other places but that doesn't mean its a good place to work.

are you thinking of applying from overseas?
zelda
visitor

Re: Middlesex University Dubai - academic standards

Postby zelda » 05 Aug 2008, 20:54

As far as i know - it is still the case that they are not accredited by the UAE.
They may be relying on the fact that students come out with a UK degree.
If the rules change they may have to seek accreditation at some point although I'm not sure how easy this would be to achieve.

Yes their ranking is low. They don't offer all the UK courses at the Dubai campus....so it's not clear how one could accurately assess the ranking of the Dubai campus as a separate unit.
There are mentions in Dubai about the university being highly ranked - but this appeared to relate to their nursing programme - but this is not offered in Dubai. Make any sense to you?

Good luck with your quest for information.
zelda
visitor

Postby dhtem » 06 Aug 2008, 00:13

Do not walk away from a job in this place....RUN! Staff turnover is almost 100 percent since this institution appeared here in Dubai for a reason, in fact for many, many reasons. This is a poisonous place where staff are badly treated. Do not believe whatever they say to you or offer you---they are completely untrustworthy.
dhtem
visitor

Postby zelda » 06 Aug 2008, 10:32

I do have to say I agree 100% with the last writer - but perhaps I wasn't as explicit as I should have been.

If you are even thinking of moving from overseas to go there - yes i agree - it would not be the wisest move you could make. You never know how your contract could change.

If I were you I'd do some of your own research into living costs too, rather than believe what you are told.

If you happen to be in Dubai and really need some extra cash - then it would not be unfeasible to take up a temporary post there - as long as you can keep your head down - and then try for something better.

Howeever staff turnover really does speak for itself. Especially when the staff include those who are highly qualified and have moved overseas especially for the job.

Good luck.
zelda
visitor

Re: Middlesex University Dubai

Postby Sud » 14 Sep 2010, 11:16

Its a great place to work! Staff turnover in the begining was bad, but is now excellent. Vacancies are no longer for replacements, but for expansion. Contracts in the UAE cannot change just like that to whoever wrote that :)
Research department is thriving, and MDX dubai is hositng a coference in 2011 on "Emerging paradigms in Research"
Sud

Postby leo » 06 Oct 2010, 22:17

But are they now accredited by Dubai/UAE?
leo

Postby viper825 » 09 Jan 2011, 01:58

Hello There,
I would like to continue my education in Middle Sex university, any updates regarding if it has been accredited in UAE or not?
viper825

Middlesex University Dubai accreditation

Postby shawarma » 09 Jan 2011, 09:12

I just checked the Ministy of Higher Education website, Middlesex Dubai is not listed in their list of accredited universities in the UAE. But that's not unusual, most universities and colleges in UAE free zones are not accredited. Middlesex are licenced by the KHDA but I don't think that's the same as being accredited. And the new Dubai university quality assurance board (UQAIB) doesn't allow public access to their reports and reviews about UAE institutions, so it's not clear what they think of Middlesex University. However, the MUD website says ...

The review conducted by UQAIB for academic year 2008-09 was based on the Equivalency Validation Model which essentially required that the University demonstrate the quality of programmes taught in Dubai are equivalent to those at the home campus in London. Subsequently the Board placed ‘high level of confidence in the quality of programmes offered’ at Middlesex University Dubai.

And the MUD website refers to the UK Quality Assurance Agency (QAA) for Higher Education with this comment ...

As part of a five-year cycle, a team of auditors from QAA visited Middlesex University from 30 March - 3 April 2009 to carry out an institutional audit. ...

The audit identified as 'good practice' the meticulous attention given to the establishment, development and integration of the University's Dubai campus. The panel praised Middlesex Dubai for the meticulous methods and detailed attention to quality matters, and perhaps more importantly for assuring learning opportunities in Dubai are comparable to those available to students in London. Middlesex University's Dubai campus is the first and only UAE campus of a London university that has participated in the QAA's institutional audit.

But neither of those reviews or comments amount to accreditation, something which is required for some jobs in the UAE so check carefully with potential empoloyers if they accept an MUD degree before enrolling. The irony is that it could well be possible that an MUD degree qualification is significantly superior to equivalent degrees awarded by many institutions that are accredited in the UAE.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Return to Universities and colleges in Dubai