BITS Pilani Dubai bullying

Forum rules
A school details template is available, if required, for updating information or adding a topic for a new school.

BITS Pilani Dubai bullying

Postby shawarma » 24 Nov 2007, 19:26

Some students were suspended for bullying (or hazing/ragging if you want to give a more palatable name to malicious behaviour) at BITS Pilani in Dubai according to a 7 Days report 11 September 2006...

“Last week 17 students came to my office and complained that they were asked to perform obscene motions, kneel down and other lewd acts. We take written statements from these students when they join college acknowledging that ragging is wrong. The college will not tolerate this kind of indiscipline,” said Dr M Ramachandran, director of BITS-Pilani. The incident happened on Wednesday when some of the third and final year students allegedly rounded up the new first years in the Knowledge Village campus and harassed them. The petrified students complained to the principal who asked them to identify the culprits.

“Some of the students were actually shivering when they pointed out the culprits. It’s obvious that they were really scared of these bullies,” said Ramachandran. But students, who saw the list of their suspended colleagues yesterday, refused to sit for lectures and assembled at the reception to protest. The students claim that some of those suspended are innocent and that the real culprits are still at large.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Hazing goes too far

Postby shawarma » 24 Nov 2007, 19:27

There was a letter to 7 days after the previous report, saying students these days are too soft. Which presumably prompted a commentary in 7 Days (14 September 2006) about hazing / ragging / bullying / whatever you want to call it. I wonder if the letter writer would call these incidents as just pranks, and the victim too soft?

Last week an Indian woman committed suicide after her son was sexually abused by seniors as a part of a ‘ragging’ ritual in an engineering college in India. In the warped ‘initiation ceremony’, the boy was forced to have sex with another boy the act was recorded on a phone camera. In another recent incident, seven senior students at a high school in USA were suspended for duct-taping up the mouths of at least two juniors.
shawarma

Birla Institute of Technology hazing suspension

Postby shawarma » 24 Nov 2007, 23:05

Well, the controversy doesn't stop at BITS Pilani in Dubai. The Gulf News have picked up on the story also with a report 18 September 2006 about a meeting between parents of the 12 suspended students, and senior management at BITS Pilani, that turned unpleasant.

Director of the institute Dr M. Ramachandran said parents manhandled an office boy and locked the meeting room from inside at the final hearing on Sunday ... However, a parent on Sunday told Gulf News that things went out of hand when the director raised his voice during the meeting. He was also rude. The meeting turned uglier when parents found that the institute was capturing the entire incident on video. "I wear the hijab and I would not like to be photographed," she said. "Just to avoid the cameraman from escaping, I locked the room from within. Knowledge Village security came and took the camera. He assured us that our photographs will not go to print," she said.

As for the outcome of the hearing on the suspension, sounds like the bullying students might have a genetic predisposition towards such behaviour ...

"I have cleared four students as there was no evidence against them, four others were given mild punishments. A decision will be taken on the remaining students tomorrow," Dr Ramachandran said.

One parent told Gulf News that her son has been falsely implicated in the hazing episode and said they were out of the country when the incident took place. "We have evidence to back it up. We went overseas on August 22 and were back on September 4."

"If the institute takes action against my child. I will take them to court and file a police complaint," said another angry parent.
shawarma

BITS Pilani Dubai hazing student expelled

Postby shawarma » 24 Nov 2007, 23:15

Gulf News reports the next day (19 September 2008) said the BITS Pilani Dubai bullying episode resulted in one student being expelled and another one suspended. There was a disciplinary committee formed with six senior faculty members and two senior students to investigate the incident. Does that mean the other 10 students were innocent, or guilty but got away with it somehow? Another Gulf News report the same day said there was a "thorough investigation." No kangaroo courts at these places of higher learning then ...

"Out of the 12 students four were cleared and four others given mild punishments. Of the remaining four, one was expelled and another handed a year's suspension. The suspension of two other students has been put on hold to give them a chance to become "model students". "This is because they were involved in minor offences. If they are caught involved in activities that do not fall in line with the institution's rules, their suspension will come into force," said a senior faculty member.

Thorough investigations were carried out before Bits Pilani expelled one student and suspended another for a year following a hazing incident.
shawarma

Return to Universities and colleges in Dubai