UAE Employment visa cancellation and outstanding credit card

Visit visas, work permits, residency visas Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE etc. Can I work on a visit visa? Who pays for my work permit? How long is my tourist visa valid for? More ...
Forum rules
Please add a follow up post if you have a question and find an answer. It will help other readers. Thanks :). Links: Visa Dubai | Dubai immigration | UAE immigration | Property visa Dubai |

UAE Employment visa cancellation and outstanding credit card

Postby Waqqaskhan » 23 Aug 2009, 16:23

Hi I have a friend who has been working in UAE for almost two years. The UAE office had a partnership with one company in another GCC Country where he was transferred. He has been coming back an forth for sometime for a number of reasons like getting the visa for the country and so on. Now the partnership is coming to an end and he is required to cancel his UAE Employment Visa and continue his employment at the new country. He Owes Some money to a bank in form of Credit Card Plus some money to A phone Co. as an outstanding Bill in UAE. He is planning to go through the process of Cancellation

What do You think we See ahead of him? I mean Any problems at the airport at the time of cancellation.
How do you suggest going by it i mean he wont have money to Pay the amount right away whereas the comany requires it to be cancelled ASAP.
Waqqaskhan
visitor

UAE visa cancellation process

Postby shawarma » 23 Aug 2009, 16:56

Hello waqqaskhan and welcome to the UAE work forums :).

When a UAE visa is cancelled, one of the first things a sponsor usually does is to notify your bank in Dubai (possibly only the primary bank if you have accounts at multiple banks). The sponsor usually requires a statement from the bank that all your liabilities have been settled, before they cancel your visa (as your sponsor, they could be held liable for any outstanding debts). If there are loans outstanding, a bank will sometimes freeze your account until they are paid off. With a credit card, you would be expected to settle the outstanding balance. If you don't, then the sponsor might not cancel your visa. If they do anyway, then you are probably good to go for the time being. If you don't pay your regular credit card bills then after a period of time, the bank will attempt to present the security check you would have given them when you signed up for a credit card. If your account is closed or there are insufficient funds, then the cheque will bounce, and the bank will notify the police. The police will notify the UAE immigration authorities and they will probably detain you the next time you enter or leave the UAE. Then you would probably have the choice of settling the debt there and then, or going to jail until the debt is settled.

With the phone bill, again, the company will normally want to see a clearance certificate from the phone company before they will process your visa cancellation. And the phone company won't issue one until you've cleared any outstanding debts. It might be possible to leave a deposit with them and/or sign your phone ownership over to a friend so that you can get a clearance certificate. If the company doesn't ask for a phone company clearance letter then you should be fine just carrying on with your phone account. If you don't pay your bill, then they might chase you but unless you've left a check with them, it's less likely that you will run into problems with the police or airport immigration. At least initially.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Re: UAE Employment visa cancellation and outstanding credit card

Postby Waqqaskhan » 23 Aug 2009, 22:45

Thanks a Lot my friend for your prompt reply It really helped understand some of the procedure but i have another question WHat is the proper Way to Cancel an Employment Visa I mean the steps involved in cancelling an employment Visa
Waqqaskhan
visitor

UAE employment visa cancellation

Postby shawarma » 24 Aug 2009, 14:18

Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Return to Visas and work permits for the UAE