Tourist visa grace period in Dubai new rules

Visit visas, work permits, residency visas Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE etc. Can I work on a visit visa? Who pays for my work permit? How long is my tourist visa valid for? More ...
Forum rules
Please add a follow up post if you have a question and find an answer. It will help other readers. Thanks :). Links: Visa Dubai | Dubai immigration | UAE immigration | Property visa Dubai |

Tourist visa grace period in Dubai new rules

Postby shaznay » 22 Jan 2015, 22:16

Hi All,

I am a bit confused about the new rule on tourist visa. I obtained my one month visa on December 24th and I entered Dubai on 26th. I found the DNRD website (https://www.ednrd.ae/portal/pls/portal/INIMM_DB.DBPK_VISAVALIDITY.Query_VisaValidity) to check my visa validity and it showed that mine is valid until February 3rd.

Is it safe to exit on the 3rd or should I follow the 30-day rule and leave on the 25th? I would prefer to stay longer as I am currently waiting for my work visa.

I also heard that extension is no longer available? Does it cover everyone or just those who obtained their visa on December 30 onwards (somebody told me about it too). I emailed DNRD about this questions but they also gave me the link above. Which is kinda funny because my initial email already included the screenshot of that site and I just need them to confirm the information I obtained. So basically I am still so confused and I hope someone could help me.

Thank you so much in advance.
shaznay
visitor

Re: Tourist visa grace period in Dubai new rules

Postby shawarma » 22 Jan 2015, 23:21

I can't answer your questions specifically off the top of my head because I am not familiar enough with the new rules, just aware that there have been some changes.

Previously a tourist visa or visit visa (short term) was valid for a 30 day stay, renewable once. And in Dubai only as far as I know, there was a 10 day grace period making it effectively valid for 40 days. Entry and exit days are counted.

At least I think that's the case for a tourist visa. I know it is for a visit visa from personal experience.

A tourist visa could be extended once, a visit visa for those able to obtain one on arrival could be extended once (or renewed indefinitely by doing a visa run), a visit visa obtained by application prior to traveling to the UAE not renewable or extendable.

When rules change in the UAE, there is often some confusion about what they mean, and even the authorities sometimes seem to give conflicting information. Also sometimes they are different or applied differently in different emirates.

So unless someone gives a reply here that makes sense to you, the best you can do is go with what the DNRD told you, or GDRFA as it's now called. And keep your fingers crossed that after staying 30 days, what they said to you still applies. At least print out a copy of that page (with the results of your specific tourist visa enquiry) to show to immigration if you're over the 30 days and they give you a fine. It might or might not help.

Call the DNRD helpline and ask them also, to see if you get the same information from them. Or call a travel agent in Dubai - they are likely to have had direct experience of processing tourist visas with the new rules.

These links might not be completely up to date yet but hopefully will be eventually ...

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dnrd.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-tourist-dubai.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visit-visa-renewal.php
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Postby shaznay » 22 Jan 2015, 23:53

Thanks a lot for your quick response, Shawarma. Yes, that's what I'm planning also, print the result that I got from their site including the email response. I called my travel agent and even them is not so familiar with the new rule as it always changes. I'll contact GDRFA tomorrow (hopefully they're open) and see what I will get. I'll update this post as others might find it helpful.

Thanks again!
shaznay
visitor

Postby shawarma » 23 Jan 2015, 01:58

Ok. I think the DNRD have a 24 hour helpline. Toll-free number should be in the link I posted above.
shawarma

Postby Abudhabi » 16 Feb 2015, 22:10

Hello Shaznay
Please advice what happened
Will I get 10 days or not
Your experince might help me decide
Last edited by Abudhabi on 17 Feb 2015, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
Abudhabi
visitor

Tourist visa 10 day grace period new rules Dubai

Postby Abudhabi » 17 Feb 2015, 09:54

I got my tourist visa from Dubai, since I was Abu Dhabi I went to the immigration dept. here.
The Officer advised I need to go to Dubai if I needed any info.

I came to Dubai in mid January, the officer who stamped my passport said I could stay for 40 days on tourist visa...

Any comments if rules have changed since then...
Abudhabi
visitor

Postby Abudhabi » 27 Feb 2015, 17:36

I had to pay 200+ 100 AED per day at the airport on departure as I overstayed.

Better to go to city immigration office in Deira Dubai and then to the Airport. They might help give a letter if they agree to your reason of overstay.

When I entered Dubai the immigration stamping office gave wrong info that I could stay 40 days, it's not correct.

Tourism Short term visit = only 30 days or pay extra
Last edited by Abudhabi on 28 Feb 2015, 09:17, edited 1 time in total.
Abudhabi
visitor

Postby shawarma » 27 Feb 2015, 18:00

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you were given wrong information by the immigration officer at the airport. There have been times when I've been given incorrect information (and I know it's incorrect) but I can't usually tell if it's just a mistake by an authority figure, a misunderstanding of my question, or because he or she is deliberately trying to mislead me.

As an example of this, related to visas, 4 times I asked the same question at the Oman Dubai border crossing from 4 different officials, and a fifth time at the Omani consulate (about getting an Oman visa for a different situation to mine). Only one of the border officials told me the same thing as the Oman embassy - I couldn't get a visa. The other three border officials told me I could.

This is a good example of why it's difficult to believe what newspapers say, what officials tell you, what people write in forum responses. In the end it can all turn out to be wrong if you dealt with or deal with an official who has a different opinion or understanding of rule changes compared to what you or other people have.
shawarma

Return to Visas and work permits for the UAE