Employment entry permit UAE unused must be cancelled?

Visit visas, work permits, residency visas Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE etc. Can I work on a visit visa? Who pays for my work permit? How long is my tourist visa valid for? More ...
Forum rules
Please add a follow up post if you have a question and find an answer. It will help other readers. Thanks :). Links: Visa Dubai | Dubai immigration | UAE immigration | Property visa Dubai |

Employment entry permit UAE unused must be cancelled?

Postby khan » 23 Feb 2015, 18:38

I tried to find it all over internet and from DNRD and MOL but i could not get answer for this

My employment entry permit (pink slip) is going to expire on 10th March 2015. As i have not used it so after its expiry can any other company apply for my visa. My old company is not going to cancel it and new company can not wait. Please guide me is it necessary to have that visa cancelled or after expiry new company can apply without any trouble?
khan
backpacker

Re: Employment entry permit unused must be cancelled?

Postby shawarma » 02 Mar 2015, 19:53

My understanding is that a new employment entry permit cannot be issued while there is a valid one already existing, whether used or not.

Normally the permit (or visa, evisa) is valid for 60 days, after which it will automatically expire if not used, and then it should be possible to get a new one issued.

Only the company which applied for the entry permit can request that it be cancelled. If they refuse to, there's not much you can do about it. Perhaps offer to reimburse them for their expenses in obtaining the permit but I doubt you have much guarantee they will do so even if you pay them.

Whatever you do, don't enter the UAE with that visa with the intention of not taking up employment with that employer. If you do that, then there is the potential for the employer to file a complaint against you with the Ministry of Labour (MOL), possibly or probably resulting in at least a 6 month labour ban.

I'm surprised the DNRD did not say something similar. That makes me wonder if I have an incorrect understanding of the situation. Perhaps try contacting them again, you'll end up speaking to someone else who might be more helpful or clearer.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dnrd.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-ban-uae.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-cancellation-dubai.php
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Postby khan » 03 Mar 2015, 02:08

Thankyou. I talked with MOL. They told me even if entry permit expires some other company can not request a visa for you until old is cancelled.
khan
backpacker

Postby shawarma » 03 Mar 2015, 15:24

Ok thanks for the update. I have misunderstood then, I thought in the case of such a visa, or entry permit, that expiry meant it was effectively cancelled.

It doesn't really make sense to me since I am aware of people who have waited for the entry permit expiry and then been able to apply for a new entry permit.

Hmmmmmm ...

Ok I checked with MOL also. Now I understand.

1. If expired, is not cancelled. Company must cancel visa. However if they don't cancel within 30 days grace period of expiry, then they are subject to fines. Which means companies usually (or always) cancel them eventually. Bad news for you is that if company wants to be difficult, in your case they can wait until 09 April 2015 without getting a fine.

And that explains my previous information about people being able to apply for a new entry permit - the company cancelled the old one after expiry.

2. Visa or entry permit only valid 30 days before entry, not 60 (and 60 days after entry not 30). Apparently. My error in previous post, although I have conflicting information now. I am looking at an Employment Entry Permit from 2014 with dates that clearly show it is valid for 60 days. Perhaps something has changed. What was the issued date of your visa, around 09 or 10 January or February 2015? If it expires 10 March 2015, then can see if 30 or 60 days validity.
shawarma

Postby shawarma » 03 Mar 2015, 15:47

shawarma wrote:2. Visa or entry permit only valid 30 days before entry, not 60 (and 60 days after entry not 30). Apparently.

It appears that something has changed. Reply and information moved to new topic since relevant to a number of topics here. See:

Dubai employment visa for entry validity period

This topic stickied for now since it also contains updated information regarding cancellation of employment entry permit.
shawarma

Re: Employment entry permit UAE unused must be cancelled?

Postby khan » 05 Mar 2015, 12:49

It is 60 days as it was issued on 14 Jan and is valid upto 14th March 2015. One more information i want to share is that when I called MOL they said my work permit that was approved expired on 23rd Feb 2015. It seems like there are different validities for employment entry permit and approval of visa. So i guess they will start getting fines after 30 days according to 23rd Feb 2015.
khan
backpacker

Postby khan » 05 Mar 2015, 13:00

And are you sure about fines after 30 days? Because MOL told me you can not get another visa unless this one is cancelled even if it takes other company years to cancel. And they told me if you want to complain then you have to come to UAE.
khan
backpacker

Re: UAE MOL information

Postby shawarma » 05 Mar 2015, 16:33

khan wrote:And are you sure about fines after 30 days?

No, I'm only repeating what the MOL told me. I might have misunderstood, or been told something not entirely correct, or posted something different from what the person said or meant to say ...

So yes, it could be the employer doesn't cancel and just keeps paying fines. However I think in that case they are blocked or eventually get blocked from being able to get new work permits issued.

I would suggest calling the MOL or immigration department again, with your visa or work permit number so they can check exactly what the status is of your specific documents. Perhaps wait until after 14 March 2015 when it is clear that the visa has expired, and see if it has been cancelled.

Yes, that's ironic, you have to come to the UAE to complain but you can't enter the country after the entry permit has expired, and if you do enter the country before it expires then you have a different problem if you don't want to work for that company.

Is there any chance the new company which wants you can file a complaint on your behalf? I know that's not much of a suggestion and I don't expect they would even if they could. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
shawarma

Postby khan » 05 Mar 2015, 18:07

Thanks alot for your guidance. I just wanted to share it with others that in my opinion what i have understood is that both visa approval and entry permit have different validities. Both are 60 days but if entry permit is issued after sometime approval is accepted then both have different expiry dates. Like in my case entry permit is going to expire on 14th Marc but visa approval expired on 23rd Feb. And there is no connection between them even if both expires company has to cancel visa approval if someone wants to get new visa. I hope i am right and it would be helpful to many others.
khan
backpacker

Postby singh3344 » 02 Aug 2015, 22:32

same problem has happened to my friend from india.
what i came to know my friend has to give authorisation to some one in dubai to complaint as he cant come to dubai even on visit visa.

if there is fine or so then i m sure company will cancel entry permit soon or later to avoid fine.

please let me know what happened to your visa now?
his entry has expired on 29th june 2015 its one month over and no reply from the company.
i am going labor mol to find more information about it.

again let me know about your entry permit it would be very helpful.
singh3344
visitor

Return to Visas and work permits for the UAE