Unpaid outstanding balance Etisalat mobile plan

Discussions and information about living in the UAE. See separate sub-forums about Working in the UAE and Visa questions for the UAE. Replies possible without registration.
Forum rules
Replies permitted at present for unregistered users but registration is recommended. Off topic replies by unregistered users will be deleted.

Unpaid outstanding balance Etisalat mobile plan

Postby julo2117 » 04 Nov 2014, 18:38

hi i am already 3 yrs here in Uae and i want to take vacation but the problem is i have remaining balance to etisalat due to my mobile plan amount is 2500 dhs. its a 2 yrs contract. they say that they already block my account so it will not increase anymore. they call me twice that they already forward it to their legal department. i told them that i am willing to pay it by installment and i am fully aware of my balance. but they said that i need to pay it all at once. but i don't have that much money in one payment.its been 2 months now since they call me.

i tried to talk to the customer service person in one of etisalat branch they said that i can pay it anytime i want, even installment, but the person who tried to call me told me that i cannot, and even threatened me that he will see me in jail.

my question is if i still did not pay it. and i take my vacation will the immigration officials will stop me for leaving the country?.

how can i check if i have complaint in immigration or in police dept.

will i go in jail for the amount of 2500 dhs?

and can i complain the person that called me because hes very rude and no respect at all to me.

Thank you. hope you can answer my questions!
julo2117
visitor

Re: Unpaid outstanding balance Etisalat mobile plan

Postby shawarma » 05 Nov 2014, 11:49

TL;DR version: It sounds unlikely to me that you'd be arrested at the airport in the near future based on the information you have given but I cannot definitely say yes or no since I'm not the police or the immigration department.

Longer version:

I understand from your post that you have conflicting information from Etisalat.

One person from customer service told you that you can pay the remaining balance by installments.
Another person told you that you must pay in a lump sum.

My suggestion is you go back to the customer service department who said you can pay by installments and ask him or her to set it up for you, or what procedure you need to follow to set it up.

Jail as a result of financial debts is usually if a check bounces and the issuer files a complaint to the police. If that has happened then you might be arrested at the airport but you are likely to have received some sort of notice from the police already, possibly an invitation to visit a police station to help them with their enquiries (and arrested when you arrive there).

If there is no check involved then I think it is unlikely you'll be thrown in jail just like that. However I am not the police, Etisalat, or any other authority. And you can't easily know if an Etisalat employee threatening you over the phone is just making noise to scare you or really does have the authority to file a complaint to the police. One thing is certain though, Etisalat employees do not have the power to arrest you, they can at best file a complaint to the police, or send you some sort of legal notice.

If you have not received any written legal notice from Etisalat, then I don't think an arrest is imminent. But it would be better if you could start some sort of payment arrangement before you travel.

Your questions:

1. They will if an official complaint has been made to the police and the police have issued an arrest warrant. Otherwise as far as I know, they won't. At least not for the Etisalat bill.

2. Call them or email them. Or both. They both have helpline numbers and email addresses.

3. It's not the amount that is a factor, it's the decision of the judge in a court case as to whether or not you have committed financial fraud. Without a bounced check as evidence this is less likely but still possible. I don't think you're that far down the road to jail ... yet. In my experience Etisalat seems to be fairly generous with time to pay bills and grace periods before lines are disconnected.

4. Yes, you can complain on Facebook, Twitter, to your friends, to Etisalat customer service department, to the Consumer Rights Authority or organisation in the UAE (there is one apparently), to a newspaper in the UAE (write a letter to the editor). Probably other avenues also. Maybe the police if you think he insulted you, or if he insulted the religious or moral code of the UAE. I would suggest you talk to a lawyer first before complaining to the police though.

I'm only saying that you can complain, not that I think you should or shouldn't.

References:

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/etisalat.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/dubai-police.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/customer-service-dubai.php
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Postby miamcon1987 » 04 Feb 2015, 12:06

Hi Julo,

I'm having the same scenario as well.

Were you able to go for vacation?

What happened in the immigration then?

Thank you!
miamcon1987

Postby kharrycute » 13 Feb 2015, 11:56

hi!

i will go home today and i dont pay my remaining balnce in etisalat?, will i hild in the immigration? thank you
kharrycute
visitor

Postby Hussain » 06 May 2015, 22:16

What happened then at the airport? I think they didn't even ask you about that? :D
Hussain

Postby dianna0588 » 10 Jul 2015, 16:57

shawarma same situation hir please help
dianna0588
visitor

Postby cuteicute » 17 Sep 2015, 15:19

kharrycute wrote:i will go home today and i dont pay my remaining balnce in etisalat?, will i hild in the immigration? thank you

what happened?
cuteicute
visitor

Postby desertrock2015 » 18 Sep 2015, 23:20

Hi guy! I have the same issue. The last time I paid partially was in sept last year. My balance is still 3k with etisalat. The collection agency has been contacting me almost every week for the past 6 months. Now they suddenly stopped. Does that mean that they reported me to police? Will the police let me know if i have a case filed against me.

Pls help.
desertrock2015
visitor

Postby shinichi » 31 Oct 2015, 02:48

Same here.. what should we do?
shinichi

Postby BBBB » 19 Feb 2016, 10:52

Hi for those of you who is having a thoughts with the 'unpaid bills'.

the scenario is... (this actually happened to my friend)

She had an emergency way back home (Philippines).
Her mother had a cancer and they called her to go back home. Since there are 5 days left in her recent vacation the company granted her to go home.
The first 1 week were not good because her mother have had severely attack which cause her to decide not to go back to Dubai anymore, her manager was informed and she filed a resignation thru email.

Since she is jobless, she couldn't afford to pay for the bills she had left in Dubai. Then after 6 months. I think one of her housemates before told him that the company of the said left bills called to his number (because that phone number were named after my friend) then the Tashe'el contacted the housmate. Then she told me Tasheel already emailed her and telling the "company-unpaid-blls" reffered to Tasheel.

But she still manage to went home though.
BBBB

Postby jing » 11 May 2016, 12:43

HI, What happened? did u have any problem in airport?
I will have my vacation 2 days from now
jing

Postby igie0722 » 25 May 2016, 04:37

jing wrote:HI, What happened? did u have any problem in airport?

Hi!

Its 25 of May now, can you please tell me if you have taken your vacation without any problem in immigration? I also have an outstanding balance in Etisalat and will go for vacation by tomorrow.

Thank you!
igie0722
visitor

Postby shawarma » 25 May 2016, 13:06

If your phone hasn't been disconnected then my best guess is you should be ok going through airport. Etisalat usually disconnect line if bill is not paid as a first step. Then it would be a few weeks before they start taking more severe steps to collect outstanding balance.

If your phone line has been disconnected but you haven't heard anything more from Etisalat, you will probably still be ok going through airport but to be safe you should call Etisalat and ask them. Or pay the bill. And remember that even if you exit ok, coming back in you might have a problem since there will be more time since the last bill was paid.

I think you get 30 days kind of grace period with disconnected line before you lose the number and worse things start to happen. Again, phone or visit an Etisalat office to check. If you're near DIFC (Emirates Towers metro station), the office there seems to be less busy than others.

Don't assume what I say, or what anyone else says is correct. Unless you get information directly from Etisalat. And even they give conflicting information sometimes (I've had personal experience of that).
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Postby Hoping » 23 Jun 2016, 03:32

Are you guys able to travel? My husband is set to travel to Philippines for two weeks and facing same issue. One of our account is unpaid under his name about AED3,000

Please do share your experience..thanks
Hoping

Postby saaleh » 05 Apr 2017, 19:10

we are a company based on dubai and We also have some sort of problems with the etisalat. but they are also not resolve our problems on phone inquiry but if we visit there head office so they resolve problem on the spot. there phone inquiry is really bad.
saaleh
visitor

Return to Living in the UAE