[Update] International Driving Permit Dubai, where to get

Discussions and information about living in the UAE. See separate sub-forums about Working in the UAE and Visa questions for the UAE. Replies possible without registration.
Forum rules
Replies permitted at present for unregistered users but registration is recommended. Off topic replies by unregistered users will be deleted.

[Update] International Driving Permit Dubai, where to get

Postby shawarma » 24 Nov 2007, 17:24

Where can you get an IDP or International Driving Permit? More usually called an International Driving Licence or International Driving License although that's technically incorrect from what I understand about the terms used.

Yes
Al Barsha Police traffic department or vehicle registration on SZR near MOE interchange.
ATC UAE (Automobile & Touring Club for UAE) in Deira, tel +971-4-2284019 (presumably yes).

Don't know
AAA or AA - there's an automobile association?
The car break-down recovery services?
[Edit: South Travels link deleted, no longer a recommended company] - they have an application form (they say they're a sharjah based company)? Not confirmed
Insurance companies
Police traffic department near Al Mulla plaza?

No

I'm sure I saw something somewhere about an IDP service from an odd sounding source - like a credit card or something.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

International Driving Licence in Dubai information

Postby shawarma » 03 Dec 2007, 13:14

International driving licences in Dubai information page. Also a list of IDP related topics in this discussion about UAE and Dubai driving licenses.

Any questions, comments, errors? Please reply here :)...
shawarma

Obtaining International Driving Permit in India for UAE

Postby Darran » 15 Jun 2015, 22:12

I'm from India and will be travelling to Abu Dhabi soon. So I wanted to know if it's possible for me to get an international driving licence to drive in the UAE. If yes, then what is the procedure for the same?
Darran

Re: Obtaining International Driving Permit in India for UAE

Postby shawarma » 17 Jun 2015, 15:35

I presume you can but I don't know anything about obtaining an IDP in India.

If you get an IDP in the UAE, it is valid for UAE residents when they travel outside the UAE, it is not valid for visitors to the UAE to allow them to drive in the UAE. And anyway, you'll need a UAE driving licence at least, and probably a UAE residence visa, to get an IDP in the UAE.

I'd suggest you ask whichever authority in India deals with Indian driving licences or vehicle registrations, or ask a car club or driving organisation in India.

One other possibility is to obtain a temporary UAE driving licence, however I think that's a complicated enough procedure that it's likely to be easier to get an IDP in India.

Something to keep in mind though is that to drive a rental car in the UAE, a home country licence and IDP from that country is usually sufficient (but double check with the agency you rent from). However to drive a private vehicle e.g. one belonging to a friend or family member, you might need to have a temporary UAE licence. If that is a possibility, ask your friend to check with their insurance company if you are permitted to drive and if you will be insured while driving.

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/driving-in-dubai.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/car-rental-dubai.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/car-insurance-dubai.php
shawarma

Re: International Driving Permit Dubai, where to get

Postby shawarma » 22 Feb 2016, 12:53

An IDP is the same where ever you get it. It confirms that you have a driving licence from your home country, it is not a driving licence on its own despite what many people say about it.

Having an IDP helps when renting a car or driving one in another country because it has driving licence information printed in several different languages. You still need your original driving licence.

If your home country licence is valid for driving in the UAE, then your IDP is also. If your home country licence is not valid for driving in the UAE, then having an IDP does not change that. Check with a rental car agency or the RTA or Dubai Police to confirm if your licence is valid. Most are valid for car rental for tourists. Most are not valid for driving a private car if here as a tourist, or exchanging for a UAE licence if on a residence visa.
shawarma

Return to Living in the UAE