Maps of Muscat and Oman

Travel from the UAE to Oman, GCC countries, other international destinations for residents and visitors.

Maps of Muscat and Oman

Postby Yogi » 27 Sep 2007, 01:10

I just thought of another question. I'm heading to Muscat. Is it easy to get there or should I get a map? What about in Muscat, anyone been there that can tell me if its easy to find my way waround the place?
Yogi
visitor

Re: Maps of Muscat and Oman

Postby shawarma » 27 Sep 2007, 01:13

From Dubai, Muscat is easy. Head to Hatta, keep following the road until you get to the a big roundabout with a sign that says Muscat turn right. Turn right, drive for 2-3 hours along that road and you'll get to Muscat. Shortly after Hatta, don't forget to slow down and/or stop to get your passport stamped (about 30 mins to 1 hour at the various checkpoints for UAE, Oman). The Oman one is called the Al Wajaja border crossing.

Coming back it's easy to turn left towards Dubai too soon - there's a big roundabout where the left turn takes you to Al Ain, you have to drive further and take the next roundabout. I think the sign says Dubai and/or Al Wajaja.

There's fold-out map with a yellow cover, I think it's called the Apex Map of Oman. I've found that to be very useful. You can buy it at petrol stations in Oman. Have a good trip :).
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Postby Yogi » 27 Sep 2007, 02:32

Ok, I've just been down that way. On the return to Dubai there are two routes from the coast road out of Muscat.

First option is to turn left towards Al Buraimi at a roundabout just after Sohar (~2+ hours from Muscat). That takes you to Al Ain and then to Dubai. Allow 1-12 hrs to find an exit from Al Ain after border crossing.

Second option is to turn left towards Al Wajaja border crossing at a roundabout ~20 minutes after option 1 roundabout. Sign should also say Dubai. This is an easier option because you're less likely to get lost on the way. Some say that going through Al Ain is a shorter route though.
Yogi
visitor

Postby shawarma » 27 Sep 2007, 04:07

Thanks for the update :).
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Return to Travel to other destinations from the UAE