[Page] Maternity Leave in Dubai UAE

Forum rules
Please use the UAE classifieds forum to post ads for jobs, items wanted or for sale, etc.

[Page] Maternity Leave in Dubai UAE

Postby shawarma » 24 Nov 2007, 23:29

Working in Dubai - page has information about maternity leave.

Seems to be some conflict in the law.

uae.gov.ae - UAE government site (undated) says from February 1999 that article 55 was revised so women can get maternity leave of 3 months on full pay, and another 6 months on half pay.

Maternity Leave

To address some of the issues discouraging women from working the Federal National Council approved a law governing maternity leave in February 1999. The FNC revised the text of Article 55 to give women entitlement to three months’ maternity leave with full pay. On motherc a re and childhood issues, the Council has said that a woman would be entitled to five separate periods of maternity leave during her employment. The law stipulates that a woman is also entitled to nine months' leave in total to look after her newborn child, comprising three months with full pay and six months at half pay.

But the UAE Ministry of Labor (MOL) site says articles 55 and 56 are to do with wages, not maternity leave :shock: ?

SECTION IV

Wages

Article 55
Wages shall be paid in legal tender on a working day, at the place of work, in the official national currency.

Article 56
Workers employed on yearly or monthly wage basis shall be paid at least once a month; all other workers shall be paid at least once every two weeks.

However, articles 30 & 31 of the UAE labour law does apply to maternity leave according to the MOL, and says 45 days maternity leave on full pay if she has worked for a whole year prior to leave. If not, then she only gets half pay. I thought it was possible to extend that another 45 days on half or no pay, but I can't find confirmation of that.

Article 30

A female worker shall be entitled to maternity leave with full pay for a period of forty five days, including both pre and post natal periods, provided that she has completed not less than one year of continuous service with her employer. A female worker who has not completed the aforesaid period of service shall be entitled to maternity leave with half pay.

A female worker who has exhausted her maternity leave may be absent from work without pay for a maximum period of 100 consecutive or non-consecutive days if such absence is due to an illness preventing her from resuming her work. A medical certificate issued by a duly authorized medical institution or authenticated by the competent health authority confirming that the illness is a result of pregnancy or delivery shall document such illness. The leave provided for in the preceding two paragraphs shall not be deducted from other leave periods.

Article 31
During the 18 months following her delivery, a female worker nursing her child shall, in addition to any prescribed rest period, be entitled to two additional breaks each day for this purpose, neither of which shall exceed half an hour.

These two additional breaks shall be considered as part of the working hours and shall not entail any reduction of wage.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Maternity Leave in UAE labor law

Postby shawarma » 24 Nov 2007, 23:30

Ah, there appears to be an argument. And article discrepancy is explained as reference to articles 54/55 are not for the Labour Legislation but something from the Civil Services Council?

What's not clear is what law applies now, or to who - there may be a difference for expat versus UAE national employees.

Old article from Gulf News 04 July 2001...

Published: 07/04/2001 12:00 AM (UAE)

FNC approves own version of maternity leave legislation
By Nissar Hoath

The Federal National Council defied the government yesterday and after a lengthy debate approved its own amended draft law on maternity leave for civil servants.

The FNC approval of its amendments came at the last general assembly of the Second Session of the 12th Legislative Chapter. The Second Session was declared concluded by a decree issued by President His Highness Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan. Speaker Mohammed Khalifa Al Habtour read out the decree to declare the session closed until November.

The FNC and the government have been at odds since 1999 over maternity leave described in Article No. 54 (now amended to 55) of the Federal Government Civil Services Council (CSC).
Yesterday's session was attended by Minister of Cabinet Affairs Saeed Khalfan Al Ghaith and Minister of State for Financial and Industrial Affairs Dr Mohammed Khalfan Al Kharbash.

After two hours of heated debate, members voted for the amendments proposed by the house committee, which calls for six-months' leave for civil servants - two months paid leave for delivery, two months half-paid leave for maternity and another two months without pay.

The additional unpaid two months must be approved separately by the management. Under the law, women employees may take advantage of the new maternity leave five times during their service period.

The government had increased maternity leave for civil servants in the draft law from 45 paid days to two months' paid and one month without pay. After a heated debate and seeing no conclusion, the Speaker gave the members two choices: the government proposal, or the draft with the committee's amendments.

Twenty-eight of the 39 members present voted for the committee amendments, rejecting the government's version. Earlier, some members suggested a third option - paid maternity leave for two months and another month without pay. However, the majority rejected it.

It is not clear whether the FNC's proiposed law will be accepted by the Supreme Council.
The law, originally drafted in 1998 by the government, was sent to the FNC in 1999 for recommendations and approval. It has been pending since then.

In the initial stage, the council proposed extended paid leave of one year - 180 days at full pay and 180 days at half pay. But this was rejected by the Supreme Council and the government and the house committee was asked to reconsider.

Kharbash said he feared that lengthy leave would reduce job opportunities for women.
"Giving long maternity leave will make the private sector cautious about appointing women because they cannot afford to compete with the public sector. This will narrow job opportunities for women in general.

"The number of UAE nationals seeking jobs in the private and public sectors is also increasing, with 700 to 1,100 students graduating every year." There was also an average increase of nine per cent in the number of women staff in all ministries, according to the government and the committee report.

There are 22,450 employees in ministries (excluding Interior Ministry), which include 8,994 married and 7,245 unmarried women. The number of women civil servants in other federal authorities is 6,050, according to ministry figures. In the next five years, the number of women civil servants is expected to rise to 25,000.
shawarma

Maternity Leave in Dubai

Postby shawarma » 24 Nov 2007, 23:30

shawarma wrote:What's not clear is what law applies now, or to who - there may be a difference for expat versus UAE national employees.

Here's the answer. From Gulf News Ask The Law 17 Sep 2004...
Questions answered by Hussain Mohammad Hussain of Ali Safar and Associates and Legal Consultants.

Maternity leave

Shibu Varughese in Dubai asks: The maternity leave section in the article at www.uae.gov.ae/Government/women.htm confirms that the Federal National Council (FNC) has passed Article 55 stating that women are eligible for three months full maternity leave and six months half pay. Is this applicable to all women in the UAE and also for women working in the Jebel Ali Free Zone Authority?

This is applicable only to UAE national women. To address some of the issues discouraging UAE women from working, the FNC approved a law governing maternity leave in February 1999. The FNC revised the text of Article 55 to give women entitlement to three months' maternity leave with full pay. On mother care and childhood issues, the FNC has said that a UAE woman would be entitled to five separate periods of maternity leave during her employment. The law stipulates that a UAE woman is also entitled to nine months' leave to look after her newborn baby, comprising three months with full pay and six months at half pay.
shawarma

Re: Maternity Leave in Dubai UAE

Postby Nisha » 25 Nov 2010, 12:49

i am working in private company in dubai for husband visa, i got my offer later in 15/12/2009,but company made my labour card in 5/05/2010,& now i am pragnant the company paid me 45 days maternity leave?
Nisha

Period of maternity leave Dubai labour law

Postby shawarma » 12 Dec 2010, 18:22

Dubai Labour Law (or UAE Labour Law to be correct) says that after one year of full-time employment, a pregnant female worker is entitled to a period of 45 days of maternity leave on full pay.
shawarma

Postby Salmasou » 01 Feb 2011, 12:30

Could someone tell me after how many month of pregnancy it is mandatory for the worker to announce it to his employers ?
Thanks for your answers.
Salmasou

Postby test » 16 Feb 2011, 01:22

what about twins? will the feeding break be of 2 hours?
test

Postby roslind » 21 Feb 2011, 15:55

i am working in Salon's office in Dubai, they have 125 staff , including Gents also, but our boss not provide to any one the maternity payment, how can i get? and legal action?
roslind

Postby ted » 11 Apr 2011, 11:29

Is the 45 days Maternity Leave separate from the Annual Leave?
ted

Pregnancy leave questions in UAE

Postby shawarma » 11 Apr 2011, 21:29

> Salmasou: I can't find anything in the UAE Labour Law that specifically mentions when an employee is required to notify their employer of a pregnancy. I presume it would become obvious at some point anyway, at the latest when the employee gives birth. Check with the UAE Ministry of Labour (MOL) for an official answer.

> test: Ha, good question :). I suspect not, but you never know, maybe there is a ruling. I don't see anything specific in the labour law but check with the MOL. I wonder then if women who give birth to octuplets (a rare but not unheard of situation apparently) get the whole 8 hour day alloted as feeding time?

Article 31 of the labour law says: " ... a working woman nursing her child shall, during the eighteen months following the date of delivery, be entitled to two additional breaks each day for this purpose, neither of which shall exceed half an hour." Since it doesn't say "children" I guess it could be open to interpretation?

> roslind: If an employer is not adhering to the labour law, the first step is usually to contact the MOL, to at least ask how to proceed, and probably to file a complaint. Or contact a lawyer in the UAE for advice (but that's usually expensive).

> ted: Yes, as far as I understand what the law says.
shawarma

Postby JazeUsi » 26 Jul 2014, 07:54

What about the working hours or how many hours should be my duty after giving birth ? does anybody knows?
JazeUsi
visitor

Return to Residents and visitors UAE