Visa scam Sharjah education job?

Questionable employment positions - warnings, scams, fake jobs and hoax jobs advertised for Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah, UAE.
Forum rules
Post questionable UAE job ads here for discussion and opinion. Please keep comments polite and respectful. Links: Employment agencies in Dubai | Jobs in Dubai | Teaching jobs in Dubai | Consumer rights UAE

Visa scam Sharjah education job?

Postby Little Gem » 09 Jun 2009, 08:36

I recently applied and was accepted for a job in Sharjah that was posted on an Education website. It all looked legal and above board.

I was asked to send 340 dollars for my visa and work permit.. I am a British National and do not need a visa to visit UAE. I have worked there before and each time the company has applied for my work permit after arrival and after a medical examination. However times change so I sent the money via Western Union as requested. Then I was asked for a further 740 $ for various permits etc. I also wote asking if I could visit the school to which I had no reply. The mobile phone number that I was given is permanently switched off and since a furthe email questioning why I should send the extra money, I have had no response.

The visa has been issued but for them to post it to my address I need to send the extra money.

I would like someone to investigate this company and get back to me to see if it is legal and if not what I can do to get my money back . I have all the deatils and would appreciate any help you give me.
Little Gem
visitor

Visa fees in Sharjah

Postby shawarma » 09 Jun 2009, 10:46

Hello LG and welcome to the Sharjah forums :).

Little Gem wrote:I was asked to send 340 dollars for my visa and work permit.

That sends up a red flag right away. According to UAE law as far as I understand it, employees are not supposed to be charged for any work permit, visa, or associated fees. I've yet to read from any lawyer, or official source, something that indicates the opposite. Also, I would be wary of dealing with a company that operates only from a mobile phone contact - if they have a physical location, they should have a landline.

Little Gem wrote:The visa has been issued

No. At least I don't think so. My guess is they just told you that to get more money from you.

Little Gem wrote:but for them to post it to my address I need to send the extra money.

The $340 they first asked for should be more than enough for a postage stamp and an envelope.

If this organisation is operating a scam, then they're likely to tell you a visa is ready, even if it isn't. You could try and contact Sharjah immigration to find out for sure (ask the organisation you applied to for the visa number and/or a scanned copy so you can confirm it's been issued), and report the company if the visa hasn't been issued.

Your story sounds very similar to how Global Recruiters operate. Sorry, but I have a bad feeling you're out the 340 dollars you've already sent :(.

What is the name of the school and-or recruitment company? Send me a PM if you don't want to post it publicly, although it might be helpful for other readers if you did. Here's a list of private Sharjah schools. If it's not in that list then try and do a thorough search of the name before assuming it actually exists.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Re: Visa scam Sharjah education?

Postby Little Gem » 09 Jun 2009, 15:50

Hi,

For the benefit of other readers, and in case anyone else has been conned by this , here are the details.

Education Adult Student Studies, Sharjah, contact number is 00971 503 738490, contact name Motari Al Muhairi, in Al Arooba Street Sharjah, and PO Box 295 Dubai. www.uaeeducationstudentstudies.tk

I sent money for the visa to H.E. Abdullah Al Shafar, Ministry of Interior.

If anyone knows anything about this please let me know.

Thanks
Fiona
Little Gem
visitor

UAE school jobs scam

Postby shawarma » 10 Jun 2009, 11:16

Thanks for the update LG. I'm sorry this doesn't help you, but for the benefit of other readers, here are some of the red flags.

1. Domain names ending in .tk are available free of charge, and tk represents the Tokelau Islands, a small group of islands in the Pacific Ocean. Your guess is as good as mine about how they are connected to the UAE education system. That's not to say that domain names ending in .com, .org, .biz, .info, .net, etc are any better. They aren't since anyone can buy them (cheaply). When a company uses .tk, it says they're are too cheap to stump up $10 per year for a .com name.

The only domain names that might have some degree of respect are ones that are not easily available. For example .mil, .edu, .gov, and some country codes although for the most part they're relatively easily obtained. The UAE extension .ae is one that is more restricted and therefore is less prone to being used by scam operations. Any significant UAE company should have the .ae version of their name, even if they use .com most of the time.

2. Framing an official looking website within another domain name. That domain (uaeeducationstudentstudies.tk) frames (a web design technique which displays someone elses website as though it's your own) one of the UAE Ministry of Education websites (moeya.ae) which makes it appear to be something it's not.

3. Sending visa money to a UAE government minister or department. Visa fees are paid at the visa processing department at the time of processing - DNRD in Dubai, SNRD in Sharjah, etc. And never directly to a person by name. And anyway, no employee should be paying visa fees of any sort in the UAE as a general rule.

I've started a separate topic for the Sharjah Adult Student Education Studies center and the UAE Education Ministry School. I can't find any contact details or other information for them. If anyone does have contact details for them, please add a reply (here or there). Thanks :).
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Return to Job scams and hoaxes Dubai UAE