Driving licenses in Dubai

Forum rules
Please use the UAE classifieds forum to post ads for jobs, items wanted or for sale, etc.

Driving licenses in Dubai

Postby shawarma » 03 Dec 2007, 13:09

Last edited by shawarma on 03 Jun 2014, 21:50, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Updated list of driving licence topics
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Dubai driving license waiting period to decrease? 31 Mar 07

Postby shawarma » 03 Dec 2007, 13:19

Emirates Today has a report (31 Mar 2007, page 8 ) that the RTA would examine the period you have to wait before re-sitting a driving test if you fail. It was six days, then changed to 1 month late in 2006.

“We are studying to reduce the one-month period,” was the written response of an RTA official, who was replying to an Emirates Today query.

Until the decision was issued last year, would-be motorists only had to wait for six days before re-tests.

Driving schools said they are sceptical about the long waiting period, with some experts saying it does not reflect the needs of the students, who could forget all they have learned while waiting for their re-test.

As for that paragraph about student forgetfulness, I guess it's good that the driving schools make it clear they are keen to promote poor driving standards in Dubai, and happy to say so 8O . No wonder they have such a bad reputation. Although it is an Emirates Today comment without any supporting quote.

Something sounds very wrong to me when only 20% of applicants actually pass the driving test (see statistics below) in the UAE. Maybe some of the complaints about the fickle nature of the test process are valid, but I have also heard comments that some of the applicants were treating the driving test as though it was a driving lesson, and repeating the process until they passed.

Statistics from January, which the RTA released earlier this month, showed that less than one fifth of all drivers looking to obtain a driving licence passed the driving test.

The numbers show that only 17.8 per cent of students looking to obtain a truck licence and 18.2 per cent of those looking for a car licence during January successfully passed the exams.

There were 18,421 applicants looking to obtain driving permits for cars, trucks, buses, motorcycles and other types of vehicles.
shawarma

Expatriate driving tests in Dubai for all

Postby shawarma » 03 Dec 2007, 13:25

All expatriates will have to take a driving test before getting a driving licence in Dubai, according to a report in the Khaleej Times 06 April 2006. They quoted someone from the Roads and Transport Authority Dubai (RTA), an organisation that seems to be coming up with all sorts of new and annoying driving regulations in Dubai. The new rule will apparently include all those expats from countries who can just exchange their driving exchange without needing to do a driving test.

As the RTA is a Dubai agency, that seems to mean that residents in other emirates can carry on as they were i.e. those lucky expats from the list of exchange countries can still do so without doing lessons or a test.

Expats with GCC licences to take fresh driving test
By Asma Ali Zain

DUBAI — Expatriate driving licence holders of 36 countries, including the GCC states, will now have to pass a test to acquire a UAE driving licence, a senior official of the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has said ...

... Speaking to Khaleej Times yesterday, Shihab Hamad Bu Shihab, Manager of Driving Licences at the RTA, said the step had been taken to unify the driving styles of these drivers with those in the UAE to make the country's roads safer for motorists. "Licence holders from these 36 countries will have to attend a minimum of 21 classes before qualifying for a driving test conducted by the RTA," the official noted. Bu Shihab said the new rule was implemented on January 15 this year. The official did not explain why passport holders of these countries, including Oman and Kuwait, would still be allowed to convert their licences to the UAE's, after paying Dh100.

Apparently the rule has been in place since 15 January 2007. As far as I know, people from the list of 36 countries have still been able to exchange their driving licences as in the past. Maybe this is a warning that the rule will now be enforced?

There's a confusing comment from the Khaleej Times though - "still be allowed to convert their licences to the UAE's, after paying Dh100". So it's not clear to me that the rule will be enforced. There will be many unhappy new expatriates if it is. What about those who already have a UAE driving licence without doing the test but need to renew it?

And just how does Mr Shihab think this will improve driving standards in Dubai?
shawarma

Dubai driving test delays

Postby shawarma » 07 Dec 2007, 00:41

The Khaleej Times had a report 06 December 2007 about driving test delays in Dubai, and frustrated learners. The problem is reportedly due to the change in January 2007 from tests being conducted by the Dubai Police to being conducted by the Roads and Transport Authority Dubai (RTA), and the RTA does not have enough examiners. Some drivers, who get stuck in traffic jams on a daily basis might see this as good news :? . According to some driving institutes the KT spoke to, the average waiting time for a retest after failing is up to 3 months, and the passing rate has gone down. The RTA said "The conditions would improve soon". Some excerpts from the KT report ...

Fatima Raees, marketing manager of the Emirates Driving Institute, said, “The conditions have not changed any bit. We have written a lot of letters to the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) and even had talks with the senior officials. They always say that they are in the process of recruiting new officials for taking road tests. But it has been 11 months now (since the RTA started having its own examiners) and nothing has changed.”

“Each driving institute has got a fixed number of examiners. Earlier, there were more than 24 examiners from the police and tests and retests were regular. Now, we have got just eight male examiners and four female counterparts from the RTA. On an average, we have 1,000-1,500 learners ready to take the test every week. The problem is evident and the RTA should do something about it soon,” said Raees.

The learners said the delay was costing them a lot of money. “This is the seventh month I am trying to get the licence. I had to wait for three-and-a-half months between the first test and the retest. And I have spent more than Dh6,000 already. How can one expect me to clear the hurdle when I have to wait for such a long time. It is evident that I will lose touch,” said Ramesh G., a learner at the Belhasa Driving Institute.

“The RTA is studying the driving licensing system in Dubai. Also, new and sufficient number of examiners are being recruited who will take regular tests. Studies are being carried out to change the driving school syllabus which will be announced soon. The conditions would improve soon,” said an RTA official.
shawarma

Re: Dubai driving licenses

Postby aintiny » 03 Mar 2008, 16:32

I just came accross this website and its streight into the favorities! Its the first time i find honesty in dubai media! Getting a driving license in dubai has been the most annoying experience in my life! I have been trying to get it since 16/7/2007 and up till now nothing! I have failed the 3 driving tests i took for no convincing reason :x i can't undertsnad what they ar etrying to do! If they are after the money let them ay it, make the lesson for 200 AED or 300 but don't give us this safety and good drivers story coz the majority of drivers on the roads should only drive in there dreams!
aintiny
backpacker

Postby shawarma » 04 Mar 2008, 03:42

Hi aintiny and welcome to the Dubai driving-you-mad forums ;).

Good to hear the site is into your favorites :).

Yes, it's a slow process and a real test of patience trying to get a driving licence in Dubai. I was lucky to be able to just exchange it but I've known many people getting frustrated with the tests. If it's any consolation to you, they all did pass ... eventually. Hang in there and good luck.
shawarma

Postby aintiny » 05 Mar 2008, 11:32

Hi shawarma and thanks for the warm welcome :P cute nickname by the way ;)

Man you could never imagine how frustrating it is ... but what to do!!! every time i wait for a taxi and even get in a taxi i know that keeping my spirits up and trying again and again is the only choice i got ... :x

I wonder why the RTA don't make it obligatory for taxi drivers to take showers let say once in a month for instance :?:

Its really discusting and its not that hot yet :!: long live dettol :mrgreen:
aintiny
backpacker

Re: Dubai driving test delays

Postby SHIVAGANGA » 24 Mar 2008, 12:50

Hi ! Freinds,

Why don't you make notice of the declaration that " driving license can be obtained from any emirates, irrespective of, from which emirates the Resident Permit issued"
which is applicable as per the new Unified Traffic Law with effect from 1st March 2008.
It can ease the difficulties for waiting for a date for test and heavy rush in number of applicants in Dubai for driving license.

Regards,

Shivaganga
SHIVAGANGA
visitor

Postby acidburn_dubai » 23 May 2008, 20:29

Hi room, please help me ... I have my own business in Sharjah, and therefore Sharjah Visa. I have a license from Pakistan for last 22 years and driving safely without any accident on my account. I took my first test in Sharjah and they failed me in One second, and gave me next test date after 2 months ..... Its so disappointing and depressing to run a business without a car of own... you can not even have business meeting respectably... I called RTA and asked if I can transfer my file in Dubai, coz Dubai have only one driving test. (Pass or Fail) unlikely Sharjah which have 2. On RTA help line they said yes if you have manager or above visa you can, but when I went to RTA office they said NO . I have my own apartment in Jumeriah in my name .. I told them every thing please help me , I am here to do business not to waste my time in driving as a kid.. This is stupid ..I have seen stupid drivers on the road (don’t know how to park even the car..)
any one can help me pls .... Its really serious

You know what will happen by strict the issuance of license, more and more frustrated ppls like me start driving a car without a UAE driving license.

Can any one tell me what is the penalty of driving a car without a valid driving license. What if I take a car on my Company/ business name and start driving, I tried asking RTA what is the penalty for driving a car with out Valid UAE driving license , they don’t tell me just say don’t drive its dangerous. But I have heard the police may impound the car. Can they impound the car on business name?
acidburn_dubai
visitor

Driving without a license in UAE

Postby shawarma » 25 May 2008, 00:02

Hi acid and welcome to the Dubai driving forum :).

I'm afraid that sounds normal enough for Dubai / Sharjah. Trying to get a driving license is not an easy process. If you own a property in Jumeirah, then you may be entitled to a residency visa (if the property is complete), and if you have a Dubai residence visa then you should be able to apply for a Dubai driving license.

acidburn_dubai wrote:Can they impound the car on business name?

I know someone who had their company car impounded by the police in Dubai (it was for a different offence than driving without a license), I expect the police aren't interested in who owns a car if they're going to impound it, they'll take it to the pound anyway :(.
shawarma

Postby acidburn_dubai » 26 May 2008, 15:12

thanks for the feed back, i have the keys of my jumeriah property, but i dont want to change my visa, i am doing business and have my company visa..

can any one tell me are GGC licence still been converted to UAE licence.
acidburn_dubai
visitor

Postby Andraos » 27 Jan 2011, 16:55

Just attempted to get a Dubai driver's license with an Australian driver's license. My Australian license still has several months of P2 (final provisional) status on it until it switches to O (open license). In Australia the only restriction which applies is the need to put a green P-plate on your car.

The RTA said it was not possible to issue a UAE driver's license (after about 40 minutes of checking). I was also advised that even when the license switched to O in a few months, in all likelihood I would not be given a UAE license as it still said P2 as well as O on the license (even though P2 is clearly marked as expiring in a few months), unless I got a letter from the Australian consulate explaining that the license was a full, open license after the listed date and brought that in with me along with the license. I figure I'll save the hassle and just get a new license when I am back in Australia for summer - this time without P2 printed on it.

Thought I'd share in case it can save some other younger Australians some time.

Note that my IDP has no restrictions and so I was able to rent and drive a car until my residence visa was processed. Now I am stuck being unable to drive until summer.
Andraos

Driving License attestation and submit

Postby Shameem Abdul Rahman » 24 May 2011, 08:42

I am Shameem A.R from Mangalore and i am heavy bus driving license holder, which one issued in 13.01.2010 and now i would like to get a LMV license meanwhile i got NOC from my company as well. Can i attempt direct test for the LMV driving license or not?
Shameem Abdul Rahman

Postby stuck » 06 Jun 2011, 15:38

hi everyone....i need some information...i actually work in shj stay in dubai ...but the worst thg is my visa is from RAK...so the thg is i wanna know if i can tranfer my file to dubai after opening it in rak....been behind this for a long time ....any suggestions
stuck

Return to Residents and visitors UAE