Raffles International Schools reviews

Moderator: mcooper

Forum rules
A template is available for updating information or adding a topic for a new school. Links: Dubai schools | teaching in Dubai | Dubai school curriculums | KHDA

Raffles International Schools reviews

Postby shawarma » 03 Dec 2007, 13:27

Raffles International Schools - information page.

Raffles International Schools will be in 3 locations from September 2007, operated by Emaar Properties PJSC (renamed as Emaar PJSC in March 2007?) - a Dubai based company listed on the Dubai Financial Market stockmarket.

Raffles School Umm Suqueim North
Raffles School Umm Suqueim South
Raffles School Umm Suqueim West

More schools expected to open in the future. A press release from Emaar Education (04 April 2007), a subsidiary of Emaar Properties, said...

• Emaar Education student registration for the 3 Dubai Raffles International Schools will start on April 8, 2007, at Hayya! Meadows Village in The Meadows. Initially for kindergarten to grade 8 students, all nationalities.
  • Admission by interview and tests in English and Mathematics.
  • All 3 schools are licensed by the Knowledge & Human Development Authority Dubai (KHDA)
  • All 3 schools are in Umm Suqiem (near the Burj Al Arab and Souk Madinat), will open in September 2007.
  • Instruction is in English but second languages available will include Arabic, French, Hindi and Mandarin
  • Additional facilities include modern laboratories, swimming pools, tennis courts, soccer grounds, dance studios and other sports and recreation facilities.
  • Head of Raffles International Schools in Dubai is Mrs Anna Kizirian.
  • Chief Executive Officer of Emaar Education is Mr Boon Yew Ng.
  • Curriculum in 3 streams, leading to International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB), American High School Diploma, and the Cambridge University International General Certificate of Education - Advanced Level (A-Level).
  • Raffles International School in Dubai will follow the Singapore model which delivers an "integrated campus", an all-round development of the students with a balanced focus on academic courses, personality development, sports and cultural activities, blah blah blah...
  • Emaar will open 2 more schools in Al Barsha. There are also 4 nurseries and kindergartens in The Springs, The Lakes and Emirates Hills.
  • Emaar also opened the Emaar Raffles International School (ERIS) in Singapore in 2007, after acquiring the Singapore based company Raffles Campus.
  • Further afield, Emaar has plans to open educational institutions in the the Middle East and North Africa, the Indian Subcontinent and East Asia.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Raffles school complaints

Postby shawarma » 07 Oct 2008, 13:10

Raffles International School has a few problems according to a report in the Gulf News today (07 October 2008). The head, Anna Kizirian has been fired according to a statement from Emaar Education, and there was a gathering of about 100 parents yesterday, complaining about the poor facilities at the new school, lack of supplies, poor standards of cleanliness, and teacher shortages. Originally, Emaar said three campuses would open in September 2007 but it appears only one did, the Umm Suquiem South Campus, and a second, the Umm Suqeim West Campus, opened in early 2008. The Knowledge and Human Development Authority (KHDA) is apparently sending out a team of inspectors to investigate the concerns, but they said they had not received any complaints themselves.

"Raffles International School in Dubai, owned and managed by Emaar Education, has stopped the services of its Head of School Anna Kizirian. A decision, with immediate effect, has been taken by the Board of Directors of Emaar Education. Zeba Khan, Deputy Principal, Junior School, South Campus, has assumed temporary additional charge of the campus. The departure of Anna Kizirian does not have any bearing on the day-to-day operations of the school, and parents of the students in the school have been informed of the decision. Raffles International School management had also met with those parents who approached them, and the school continues to function normally,"

Some of the statements from parents that were reported by Gulf News:

One UAE National parent defended the head, saying, "I joined the school for the prestigious reputation of Anna and if she is fired I will definitely pull out my children." ...

... "The toilets are absolutely disgusting and almost zero outdoor facilities," said one parent.

And the school was reported as saying:

"The school has contracted teachers internationally. While most of them have joined us, a few others will take charge shortly. Equipment and study materials are also sourced internationally, and most of these have now been received. Operational aspects pointed out by parents and teachers regarding toilets, lockers and the swimming pool are also being addressed."

So what's it really like at the Emaar Raffles School in Dubai? Any comments from students, teachers or parents? Fire away :) ...
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Re: Raffles International Schools

Postby johnhickson » 06 Feb 2009, 05:14

I am a parent who had a first hand experience with the school... My advice is stay as far away as possible. I would not want to send my kids to this school if it was the last school on this planet... The way they manage the school is appalling ... Having one hot-headed parent complaining is one thing... but having a hundred is another.... Just try and ring the school to speak with the registrar, principal or anyone higher up... You will get a default response that they are in a meeting.... They probably are considering even the top man of the company has to become a private investigator cum lawyer.... A long story...
johnhickson
visitor

Postby lindsay » 20 Feb 2009, 10:30

Wow! And considering I was considering applying to work there. Thank you! I really don't want to spend another two years working in a crap school.
lindsay
visitor

Postby rashed » 04 Jul 2009, 18:55

when I enrolled my child into that school, I have been tolled that it will become IB the year after, now, two years later and no sign of IB approval.

I belive it is time to pull him out. The teachers over there are not up to the standard. some of them are sacked from other schools.

I had also witnessed a teacher picking and bullying on a student. His behaviour was extremlly visious, he throws the boys books on Purpose on the floor and ask him to pick it up in mens of insulting him further, in another incident he call him names and allow other alder student to slap him on the face , when the littel boy started to cry, the clever teacher put him into detention. I had witnessed that.I saw the boy's tears and all his boady shaken from fear.

When I approached the parents and told them what I saw from that teacher . He continiously insulting their child infront of other studends and parents as me, by the way the boy is around 8 years , his parents told me that they are aware and had complained to the Head of School, but no action against that teacher to stop his outrageous behaviour was taken.

Teachers there are like wild elephants ,they think no one can stop them, and I do belive that the CEO have no control or authority what so ever. They are busy counting money , and making property investments. SHAME ON RAFFLES. parents put their preious children in schools with sky high fees thinking they are doin good to their kids. apparently they have to spend another double on child psychiatrists.
rashed
backpacker

Postby cheryp » 23 Jul 2009, 11:19

Well, it was on the website that Raffles is now a candidate school for the IBPYP and Diploma Program.
cheryp
visitor

Postby greatteacher » 21 Aug 2009, 17:00

Do not work for this school. I made the mistake of accepting a post for this school and stupidly I agreed to book the flight myself. So I did...then the day before I was due to fly out to start for this school they sent me an email to say they had 'withdrawn' their contract. They haven't paid me for the flight or any compensation for loss of earnings. This school is a joke! What sort of school treats their employees this way? I would hate to think how they treat their children and parents. I doubt there will be enough teachers to teach the children in the school as they are cutting costs by cancelling my contract.
greatteacher
visitor

Postby rashed » 23 Aug 2009, 22:45

candidate! ( dose not mean they got the IB cerification) they have to wiat till they work out these issues.. :!:

cheryp wrote:Well, it was on the website that Raffles is now a candidate school for the IBPYP and Diploma Program.
rashed
backpacker

Postby mumtazkadiri » 06 Jan 2010, 20:26

As a student of Raffles International School, I appreciate the professionalism and excellent management skills of Mrs. Anna Kizirian and her willingness to educate us. Thank you Mrs. Anna for all your efforts.
mumtazkadiri
visitor

Postby rashed » 20 May 2010, 08:17

Listen to the latest news, after alshinnar ( previous CEO of the school) resignation last year, he LAUNCHED a new prestegous school, he now is doing a great job advertising for it, contacting most of the parent and arranging gatherings where he is presenting his school ;) , seems its a good business :roll: what I heared from a school source is that the new school board who are taking over the management are cutting in cost ( canteen will be outsourced, teachers salarys, and 25 to 30 student in class instead of currently Max 15-18 student). by the way the new management of the school are the same of that American school in Medows they took an avarage ACCEPTABLE in their KDHA evelauations. :shock:
rashed
backpacker

Postby give up hope with raffles » 29 Sep 2010, 16:34

absolutely ridiculous, the way the school is being run, my views as a parent of kids there for 3 years as below, beware any parent who wish to enrol their child into RIS:

1. Fired Anna K as head of schools when the new west campus had teething problems, not her fault

2. changed the curriculum 4 times in 1 year - started as IB (no mention that the school was not even a candidate IB school), changed to international, then to IGCSE, then to IB candidate for primary only, with no communication to parents who enrolled thinking it was IB

3. poor infrastructure

4. Emaar Education CEO changed 3 times - Boon Yeo, then the emirate chap, then Boon Yeo again, then they hived off the entire operation to DIA management who have not fared better in the year 2010-11

5. teachers fired without cause, good ones, while incompetant ones remain

6. coerce parents to buy books for AED 1200 that cost AED 500 outside. Moreover, make us buy the same book 2 times i.e. the books bought for grade 3 are the same for grade 4 as well, but we pay the whole amount in Grade 3 as well as in Grade 4.

7. yada yada yada ... can go on for ever about their misdeeds and incompetance

8. had a problem about bullying concerning my child who qualifies as a gifted and talented child by all definations, with an IQ much higher than most kids. complaints about the bullying with names of the offenders has been ignored past 2 years. the previous teacher even had the audacity to tell us that the bullying was probably because our child was autistic, in her opinion. This from a person who seems to be fresh out of school herself and who has this year been removed from frontline teaching and made a coordinator - shows a lot about her capabilities...

9. inquisitiveness about the subjects and what is being taught is not encouraged. My child who wanted to take a closer look at a live exhibit in class, was actually asked to leave class and stand in the atrium for being inquisitive about the subject being discussed.

10. Principle has no desire to meet parents. Mr [edit by moderator]name removed[/edit] would rather sit in his office just off the main entrance lobby in sight of waiting parents who asked to see him, and refuse a meeting just because no prior appointment was made. it would appear that twiddling thumbs is better than having to face parents and their concerns!

overall a miserable school with miserable staff, should just be shut down, the sooner the better. we stayed on despite advice to move the kids out, in the hope that new management would bring competency, but its just not happening
give up hope with raffles

Postby ZEDDIE DUBAI » 12 Oct 2010, 11:37

I have taken my 5 year old daughter out of Raffles West Campus after one week of attendence. Her teacher was a stressed and inapt lady who completely failed to exercise any useful control over her class. My daughter is very very bright and has been attending Kindergarten since the age of two. She always looked forward to going to any school environment, after two days at Raffles she was withdrawn and reluctant to go.

On pulling her out of the school, I had an exchange with the woman in admissions. Firstly she sent me on a wild goose-chase from one campus to the other to complete a form for withdrawal. When I decided to take the form into her, she barked at me "I told you to go to the west campus". I remarked that I had questions they couldn't answer on reception at the west campus. The woman than proceeded to scoff at my daughter getting a place at another school and that even though she had been moved up a grade that it would be the same as a lower grade a Raffles. She then went on to make a comment about my daughter's abilities which she could only have heard from her teacher. She was cutting, beligerent, and ill-informed. My daughter was punished in class by having her star chart thrown in the bin. She came home crushed that day.

My advise, if there are no school places available, keep your kids at home. Even send them to "Fun City", it would be cheaper and more worthwhile! This place is shocking! It is a mere licence to remove money from desperate parents. Although there are some people looking to try and change this place, most of it feels like "a day late and a dollar short". Don't use this school!
ZEDDIE DUBAI

Postby mich_ng » 14 Oct 2010, 05:00

Dear all,

After calling up almost 10 internationals school, I think Raffles international school is the only school that has space for KG.
But after reading all the comments, I get a bit worry.
Is Raffles international school really so bad? Can more parents give me their comment pls.
mich_ng

Postby Shamma » 23 Nov 2010, 01:15

OMG, Raffles is the worse place ever to place your child in, I totaly agree with previous comments about bullying and so called [edit by moderator]name removed[/edit].

It seems that students learn bullying from their own teachers who bullys their class students. I had to report the teacher who continully bullied my kid to KHDA, well apparentlly the Khda had informed me that it was not the first incident from Raffles teachers. have to mention [edit by moderator]name removed[/edit], no thanks to him. and the list go on.

as far as the curicculem, yes they keep on changing their minds weather they will have IB, or not, it seems that MYP is not easy to get accrediation from so they decided to chang it to IGSC WITHOUT discussing it with the parents who enrolled their children into the school as per their IB advertisment.

Now again , to the bullying ( and that includes physical) the school management especially so called [edit by moderator]name removed[/edit], keeps an eye shut on such incidence, if they dislike the student they incorage it by letting others get away with it.

The Indian Managment had decided to recieve extra money by cutting costs. The principale So called [edit by moderator]name removed[/edit], had changed the books, so they are no longer singaporian ( and so had nothing to do with singapore Raffles) and now students had to study the books of a higher grade. students in grade 6 had to study from grade 7 books ( Nelson books), and grade 7 is studying Grade ( 8) and so forth, if your children in the school check your kids books and read the front page.

This is crazy. one teacher who resigned had told me that it is [edit by moderator]name removed[/edit] idea, so when the Khda inspectores rounds they will be amayzed with the school. without considering the pressure they put on the student having them to memories and take information that are not ready to yet. check the G6 history book, it said that this book is intended for student age 13 -16.

at the end we had to pull our children from Raffles to the American Acadimy. please be wise befor you decide to torture your kids in Raffles, ones they are there you will be under [edit by moderator]name removed[/edit] mercy . The management and teachers acts like [edit by moderator]implausible accusation removed[/edit]. peace
Shamma

Postby rashed » 26 Nov 2010, 04:18

If you are considering Raffles:
-To what degree can you cope if your son was a victim of bullying?
-Would you be able to accept if you see your boy harming himself because of bullying.
-Bullying is secretly permitted in this school (secondary and high school in particular)- cctv are down I guess or dose not function- and NO social counselors are available in the school.
- Are you ready for a psychiatrist visits and bills to make your son cope with bullies?

Unfortunately school staff, teachers dose nothing to stop it or control it (you will probably hear: we will investigate but will never receive a feedback or any result of so called investigation).

My advise KEEP AWAY FROM THIS SCHOOL and from those people ([edit by moderator]names removed[/edit]) .

There are many schools in Dubai that offers good education with zero bullying tolerance. Raffles is not one of them.
rashed
backpacker

Postby rashed » 26 Nov 2010, 04:52

give up hope with raffles wrote:absolutely ridiculous, the way the school is being run, my views as a parent of kids there for 3 years as below, beware any parent who wish to enrol their child into RIS:

I totally agree with every single word. Bullying from class mates, and victimized by teachers, go well in this school. After pulling my children last year it’s my nephew’s turn to be under the their restrain. His psychiatrists advise to pull him out immediately after harming himself. Teachers were ( unfortunately aware of the bullying as a matter fact she who was the first to tell the father that: she doesn’t know why all the class mates pick on him , point and accuse and worse call him names! Though she finds him very intelligent and polite boy he had excellent grades ) well she known’s and she never did anything in her class to stop it . Just a month before the midyear exams he was rushed to the hospital trying to harm himself.
rashed
backpacker

Postby Petro » 30 Nov 2010, 13:25

Dears,
Do you have any updates onthe school. I find it the only option for my daughter to join for the next term. She is in KG 2 and I am really so afraid from the feedbacks i read above. Hope you have any good news for me.
Petro

Postby Yaz London » 10 Dec 2010, 18:01

There are other UK curriculum schools in Dubai. My brothers kids go to Winchester. He says its not the best, but is reasonable. As the fees are reasonable he can also afford to top up their education with extra-curricular tutoring.
Yaz London

Postby not always happy » 09 Jan 2011, 15:14

My kids have both been at Raffles since it first opened in 2007. Not all plain sailing during that time but our kids are doing really well and have a good group of teachers. We went through the really bad times of turning up and not having a classoom ready at the start of term and no teacher in sight, the Principal at the time took no responsibility for not noticing that a teacher hadn't turned up and was duly sacked with good reason. A good educator does not always make a good principal and leader.

The new replacement principal had a lot of work to do to recover the situaton and I think did a great job. A school with 60 plus nationalities will always find it tough to please everyone. He's resigned now to move home and his replacement was his deputy and the same high standards have been retained, including the IB PYP and MYP which are great for our kids.

Many of our friends took their kids out and have enjoyed good education elswhere, and their share of problems as well, but ours and many others have stayed and our kids are really doing well.

It will never be perfect in Dubai, and schooling is included in that process, the transient nature of the staff and students will always make it tough.
not always happy

Postby Shamma » 09 Jan 2011, 23:16

Raffles has no MYP and had made it clear in its website, that it has no intention of holding MYP and will continue teaching IGCSE in the middle years. and both principils, the one sacked and the one sitting on his chair currently are both unprofessionals.
Shamma

Postby argonaut » 10 Feb 2011, 08:34

Raffles' Montessori preschool-KG at the South Campus is outstanding: easily the best program in Dubai with excellent resources, well-trained and committed teachers and a learning environment and culture that are truly second to none. Our child has been in the Montessori for two years and we have been 100% delighted with the experience. The same can't be said of the rest of the school, however, which is why so many parents seem to take their kids out of the school once after preschool-KG and shift them to another school for primary.
argonaut

Postby Desertrose1 » 09 Mar 2011, 18:34

I am finding Raffles International School, SOUTH campus wonderful this year. We have a wonderful teacher in Grade 1 who has been with the school awhile also. Things have really pulled up with the new managament-whole different and positive feel.
Desertrose1

Postby seagull » 06 Apr 2011, 01:01

the teachers in Raffles South Campus - Montessori preschool seem very stressed this year because of the KG coordinator, who I pesronally find, a very difficult person.. not very pleasant with staff or parents! one of my friends has pulled her child out in the middle of the year because of that coordinator ! My child is there this year.. you could feel the stress of the staff in the air! almost all parents complain about her lack of understanding !
seagull

Re: Raffles International Schools reviews

Postby dubaiteacher » 25 Aug 2011, 14:09

Hi guys, I have applied for a teching post @ Raffles and am so worried about it after reading all da comments. can any of the past or present teachers tell me if they pay the salaries on time. tks
dubaiteacher

Re: Raffles International Schools reviews

Postby momdadteach » 31 Aug 2011, 23:16

This is in regards to the previous post "dubaiteacher"
My husband and I both work at Raffles and have worked at previous schools in Dubai and can tell you that it is a fantastic school! Both campuses are great. The school is very well managed and teachers are well respected and salaries are paid on time and sometimes before the end of the month. If you are hired I can assure you that you will love working at Raffles. Yes we work hard but are well remunerated and treated very well with plenty of opportunities for professional development.
momdadteach
visitor

Next

Return to Schools in Dubai