Consequences of staying away from UAE more than six months

Visit visas, work permits, residency visas Abu Dhabi, Dubai, UAE etc. Can I work on a visit visa? Who pays for my work permit? How long is my tourist visa valid for? More ...
Forum rules
Please add a follow up post if you have a question and find an answer. It will help other readers. Thanks :). Links: Visa Dubai | Dubai immigration | UAE immigration | Property visa Dubai |

Consequences of staying away from UAE more than six months

Postby Emran » 07 Jan 2010, 12:55

Dear Experts,
My brother's company told him to go for two months leave as they dint have any project. When he contacted them after two months, they replied that they will inform him when to return. But after passing more than four months, there is no positive response from the company, they even not responding the mails.
I want to know,
1- what should my brother do at this stage? and ,
2- what will be the consequences, if he fails to enter the emirates within six months?

Thanks
Emran
visitor

Absent from UAE more than six months

Postby shawarma » 07 Jan 2010, 16:06

Hello Emran and welcome to the UAE job forums :).

1. If there is no response from the employer or sponsor, then you should contact the labour ministry in the UAE to either enquire how to proceed, and/or file a complaint so that you can subsequently initiate a visa cancellation process. It will also be useful to have done that in case the company decides to file an absconding complaint against you.

2. After 6 months outside the country, your UAE residence visa becomes invalid which means you cannot enter the country. This does not mean it is automatically cancelled, you still have to do that, and you cannot be issued a new visa until that happens.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Re: Consequences of staying away from UAE more than six months

Postby raj_french » 18 Feb 2010, 12:50

Dear Sir,
2. After 6 months outside the country, your UAE residence visa becomes invalid which means you cannot enter the country. "This does not mean it is automatically cancelled, you still have to do that, and you cannot be issued a new visa until that happens." - In this case how can one cancel his Visa if the company doesn't do so ? Please clarify

Thanks,
RJ
raj_french
traveler

Visa cancellation from outside UAE

Postby shawarma » 18 Feb 2010, 13:10

Hello raj and welcome to the UAE visa forums :).

You need to contact the UAE Ministry of Labour and/or the UAE Residence Department directly to arrange visa cancellation from outside the country.
shawarma

Postby raj_french » 05 May 2010, 07:50

Hi Sharwama,
My previous employer refuses to cancel my visa.How can I cancel my visa which is still active. I am in my home country now. Please advise.
raj_french
traveler

UAE visa cancellation from outside the country

Postby shawarma » 05 May 2010, 08:30

There is a procedure for cancelling your visa from outside the UAE. I think you can send your passport to your employer, but if your employer is not interested in cancelling your visa there doesn't seem to be much point in doing that.

So then you need to contact the UAE Immigration Department directly to arrange visa cancellation, and maybe the UAE Department of Labour also.
shawarma

Postby raj_french » 06 May 2010, 05:38

Thanks Shawarma
raj_french
traveler

Postby Bumz_Rush » 21 Jul 2010, 06:20

Never send your passport from overseas to ANY person or organisation.

It is not your property, it belongs to your government.

More importantly, there is no guarantee that you will ever see it again, thus compounding the problem.

Contact the UAE consulate in your own counrty, they will be able to provide more assistance than any one else.

bumz
Bumz_Rush
traveler

Postby raj_french » 21 Jul 2010, 09:05

I have contacted the AMER service from DNRD, their reply was to contact the employer to cancel my visa. The problem is my employer is not responding to my request. So what can I do in this case. There is another company willing to employ me. I am much confused and worried now !
raj_french
traveler

Running around in circles in the UAE

Postby shawarma » 21 Jul 2010, 09:21

Yes, it can be a bit of a tedious process running around in circles like that.

All I can suggest is that you keep trying to contact the DNRD and the Ministry of Labour. Some people can be more helpful than others so by trying again you might encounter someone else. What did the Amer service say when you told them your employer was not willing to cancel your visa?
shawarma

Postby raj_french » 23 Jul 2010, 09:16

They say that I still need to contact my ex-employer. That is why I am wondering aren't there any other to cancel my visa. If my employer didn't inclined to cancel, it means that I cannot work in UAE ? DNRD is not giving a straight answer for this
raj_french
traveler

Contacting DNRD

Postby shawarma » 23 Jul 2010, 18:59

Well, the DNRD are the ones who list the procedure for cancelling a resident visa without a passport when outside Dubai ...

Cancellation of residence permits of persons who are outside UAE

This involves a description of procedures of Naturalization and Residency Administration/Dubai to cancel residence permits of persons who are staying outside UAE, and which will be carried out without the expatriate person's passport.(cancellation of an employment permit of a worker who is outside UAE)

Required Documents:

Required documents to cancel a residence permit without the sponsored person's passport:
  • Copy of the sponsored person's passport or departure list provided that the residence permit has expired.
  • Sponsor's passport copy
  • Two (2) copies of cancellation application
Required documents for cancellation of residence (employment) permit issued by Naturalization and Residency Administration and Ministry of Labour without the sponsored person's passport:
  • Two (2) copies of application to cancel a residence (employment) permit issued for a person by Ministry of Labour, when the residence permit has expired.
  • If the sponsored person holds a residence (employment) permit issued by Naturalization and Residency Administration, his residence permit will be cancelled by Naturalization and Residency Administration/Dubai.
  • Copy of the establishment card.
  • Copy of the commercial license if his residence (employment) permit is issued by Naturalization and Residence Administration.
  • List of departures list issued by Cancellation Unit if his residence (employment) permit is issued by Naturalization and Residency Administration.
Fees & Collection

AED 120 for cancellation when a person is outside UAE.

Special Notes:

N/A

This service shall be offered at:

Residence department - the main branch
Abuhail center
Jebel Ali port
Hatta Center
Danata - Main branch
A'amal Center- Hyatt Regency

There's another topic with a similar story, it's not clear to me how it was resolved though.

UAE visa cancellation and GCC countries

Since the DNRD are the ones doing the visa cancellation, they're the ones you'll have to keep talking to. Trying talking to a different person - even within the same government department it's not uncommon to get conflicting advice or rules.
shawarma

Postby raj_french » 26 Jul 2010, 09:33

Thank you very much. You are really a great help to us
raj_french
traveler

Postby raj_french » 06 Aug 2010, 09:52

Hi Shawarma,
Being my UAE residence visa is not cancelled and I am not working anymore in UAE, is it possible for me to apply for a job in Qatar ? will be there any implications if I look for a job in Qatar beacuse of my UAE visa issues ? Please advise. Thanks
raj_french
traveler

UAE expired visa affects Qatar employment

Postby shawarma » 06 Aug 2010, 12:54

There might be issues, there seem to be mixed reports about how UAE visa issues affect employment in other GCC countries. As far as I know, a UAE labour ban shouldn't affect employment elsewhere in the GCC, nor should an expired or invalid visa. But don't count on it, try and find out for sure from a more authoritative source - Qatari immigration and/or labour department?

You might be better off asking in one of the Qatar forums.
shawarma

Return to Visas and work permits for the UAE