What are living costs in Dubai ..now in Sept 2007

Forum rules
Please use the UAE classifieds forum to post ads for jobs, items wanted or for sale, etc.

What are living costs in Dubai ..now in Sept 2007

Postby sssm » 03 Dec 2007, 18:47

Please give me a break up of costs for a family of three (me,spouse and kid of 1.5 years) (travelling new to Dubai for 1 year assignment in Dubai).

1. Studio flat/1-BHK per month ( in areas upto 1 hr bus travel distance from Dubai Internet City?) having A/C and washing machine in it. Please mention those area names too.

2. Advance rent of how many months to be paid to landlord? When is it refundable?

3. What are costs of water,electricity, air-conditioning and normal Internet usage per month?

4. Travel costs by public transport per month? Also provide leads for what types of transport and which are available and good and economical currently?

5. Is it mandatory to approach a rental agent to book the flat or can we directly go to landlord? What will be agents fee?

6. What will be cost of vegetarian food+breakfast if we plan to eat outside?

7a. How much it costs if we cook at home?

7b. Cost of buying utensils for cooking there( for South Indian food)? Electric Cooker etc..

8. What will be the cost of cellphone prepaid cards per month? Do cellphones purchased in India(Nokia make) work there or do we need to buy new.

9. Cost of TV,DVD player and Cable TV bill per month? How is the resale values for these?
sssm
visitor

Re: What are living costs in Dubai ..now in Sept 2007

Postby shawarma » 03 Dec 2007, 18:48

Hi, I'll do my best. Rough estimates only...

sssm wrote:Please give me a break up of costs for a family of three (me,spouse and kid of 1.5 years) (travelling new to Dubai for 1 year assignment in Dubai).

1. Studio flat/1-BHK per month ( in areas upto 1 hr bus travel distance from Dubai Internet City?) having A/C and washing machine in it. Please mention those area names too.

Studio 40,000 - 80,000 dhs per year. 1 bdrm 60,000-100,000 dhs per year. But the cheap ones are hard to find or you have to live further than an hour away. International City might have something.

2. Advance rent of how many months to be paid to landlord? When is it refundable?

Rents are usually paid annually in advance. Refundable? Rent is not refundable.

3. What are costs of water,electricity, air-conditioning and normal Internet usage per month?

1 bdrm apartment 150-300 dhs per month + internet: 200-250 dhs per month for DSL.

4. Travel costs by public transport per month? Also provide leads for what types of transport and which are available and good and economical currently?

Bus trips 1-2 dhs per trip. I think there are monthly travel cards available. Taxis depend on how far you travel. Private taxis are cheaper, and common, but illegal. Newspapers carry advertisements for them.

5. Is it mandatory to approach a rental agent to book the flat or can we directly go to landlord? What will be agents fee?

No-yes. 5% of one year's rent usually, payable once, not per year.

6. What will be cost of vegetarian food+breakfast if we plan to eat outside?

Depends on restaurant. 15 dhs-200 dhs per person.

7a. How much it costs if we cook at home?

Depends what you cook. For family of three allow 500-1000 dhs per week for very basic to average.

7b. Cost of buying utensils for cooking there( for South Indian food)? Electric Cooker etc..

Flats usually come with cookers. Otherwise 1000-2000 dhs, and 500-5000 dhs to kit out your kitchen.

8. What will be the cost of cellphone prepaid cards per month? Do cellphones purchased in India(Nokia make) work there or do we need to buy new.

If cellphone from India not locked, it will work here. Phonecall cost, see etisalat.ae or du.ae for rates. Depends entirely how much you use the phone.

9. Cost of TV,DVD player and Cable TV bill per month? How is the resale values for these?

TV 300-30,000 dhs depending on size, type. DVD 200-1000 dhs, Cable TV 100-300 dhs per month (bit of a guess, I don't have cable).
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Re: What are living costs in Dubai ..now in Sept 2007

Postby sssm » 03 Dec 2007, 18:48

Thanks a lot for a good estimate.I think I should be ok in Dubai with my salary..thanks once again.
sssm
visitor

Return to Residents and visitors UAE