Ramadan 2016 daytime dine-in Dubai and UAE

Discussions and information about living in the UAE. See separate sub-forums about Working in the UAE and Visa questions for the UAE. Replies possible without registration.
Forum rules
Replies permitted at present for unregistered users but registration is recommended. Off topic replies by unregistered users will be deleted.

Ramadan 2016 daytime dine-in Dubai and UAE

Postby shawarma » 06 Jun 2016, 15:32

Remember it is disrespectful, and illegal, to eat, drink, or smoke in public anywhere in the UAE between sunrise and sunset during Ramadan.

This topic for places to eat and drink during the day during Ramadan 2016 in Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Al Ain, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, Sharjah, Umm Al Quwain (UAQ), and elsewhere in the UAE.

Add information updates, new places, places which were open previously but aren't this year, new places.

List details as follows if information available:
Location, address
Opening times
Phone number
Say if open for dine-in, takeaway, delivery.

Generally:

Most 4 and 5 star hotels have somewhere to eat and drink during the day.
Free zones in Dubai usually have most cafes and restaurants open - DIFC, Dubai Media City, etc.
Jumeirah Lakes Towers is a free zone so many, but not all, restaurants and cafes are open for daytime dining.

Daytime smoking areas are more difficult to find. Usually restricted to a handful of bars in hotels which are open during the day (no alcohol served).

[edit] Update: Some bars in Dubai are serving alcohol during the day. This is a change from previous years when ... The only place in Dubai where you could get alcohol served during the day during Ramadan was airside after customs and immigration clearance at Dubai Airport (DXB). Not at Terminal 2 (?). DWC unknown but there are no bars there anyway. Possibly in the premium, business, and first class lounge (but check first if it's important to you).[/edit]

See also:

http://www.dubaifaqs.com/ramadan-in-dubai.php
http://www.dubaifaqs.com/ramadan-restaurants-cafes-open-daytime.php
http://www.desertspeak.com/viewtopic.php?t=4049 - Ramadan 2015 forum topic.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Re: Ramadan 2016 daytime dine-in Dubai and UAE

Postby Guest » 20 Jun 2016, 23:20

Is sitting permitted in open cafe's (starbucks, Tim Hortons) during Ramadan before iftar time? (Without eating)

Re: Ramadan 2016 daytime dine-in Dubai and UAE

Postby shawarma » 22 Jun 2016, 14:36

I don't think there are any laws specific to Ramadan against sitting in open cafes before Iftar without eating or drinking, however, individual cafe and shopping malls might have internal policies and rules against it, or discouraging it.

I have seen people sitting in places such as you ask about, daytime during Ramadan, having discussions, reading, making notes etc. But with no food or drink.

I have myself been kicked out of the seating area of a closed cafe in a shopping mall by a security guard. It was mall policy he said. I was reading a book. This was not during Ramadan.
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Return to Living in the UAE