Nibras International School NIS reviews

Moderator: mcooper

Forum rules
A template is available for updating information or adding a topic for a new school. Links: Dubai schools | teaching in Dubai | Dubai school curriculums | KHDA

Nibras International School NIS reviews

Postby shawarma » 25 May 2008, 02:03

Nibras International School in Dubai (NIS) - information page.

23 May 2008 - email received from Nibras International School with following updates:

1. Who is the head? - Mr. Gustav Gröpp
2. Number of Students - 320 - 2007/08
3. Number of Staff - 36 teachers; 7 Teachers Assistants; 12 Administration; 18 Service workers
4. Email: info @ nisdubai.ae
5. Qualifications: American High School Diploma (SAT’s)
6. How much are the fees? - 18,000 AED – 39,000 AED

There is an Al Nibras School for Special Needs in Kuwait listed in Wikipedia, but I can't find any other information about it (all other sources seem to be based on the Wikipedia entry), except a comment from Nibras Holding in Kuwait that they planned to start a special needs school in Kuwait (perhaps they did already). I presume the special needs school and Nibras Holding are unrelated to NIS in Dubai.

Questions:

Who is the owner manager of the Nibras school in Dubai? Who is the manager?
What is teacher salary range and benefits package?

Do you have any comments or reviews about teaching or studying at NIS in Dubai? Add them to this topic ...
Please use the forum for questions, not the PM system.
shawarma

Nibras NIS principal

Postby shawarma » 09 Sep 2008, 10:56

NIS head changed? Website says principal is Dr John Black (from the US) when checked today. Maybe was a sudden change? NIS website on 24 July 2008 still had Mr Gustav Gropp as principal.
shawarma

Nibras School salaries not paid

Postby shawarma » 18 Jun 2009, 11:23

A Gulf News report this morning said that Nibras International School was not paying teachers the salaries they were owed, based on comments from some teachers. But NIS management said the teachers broke their contract. "The school has deducted the airfare from my June salary and I have not been paid for the month of August." said one teacher.

At best, it looks like teachers misunderstood the English version of the contract when they signed the Arabic version. At worst, it looks like the Arabic version was different and teachers were made to sign it despite not knowing it was different.

Only the Arabic version of a UAE labour contract is legally valid for Jobs in Dubai. As they say in London, mind the gap.
shawarma

Re: Nibras School NIS

Postby momdadteach » 12 Oct 2009, 17:15

Quick heads up about this school.
Teachers are great and professional and care for the children.
Management has no idea how to manage a school, very unprofessional.
Management especially the representative of the owner treats all staff members as sub-human this includes the accommodation that is provided to the teachers as well as the salaries that are paid out.
This school should be under new management ASAP or else the amount of teachers that leave will continue! And the children will be left with no more teachers!
If you are a teacher researching schools to apply to do not apply to this school unless you like to work in an environment that is absolutely chaotic.
momdadteach
visitor

Postby momdadteach » 16 May 2010, 20:49

I don't understand how this school got an acceptable grade from the KHDA! They should have failed...They have no curriculum or standards! When the KHDA visited at the beginning of the year they pulled out a curriculum and standards used at another school that the high school supervisor used! Teachers were asked to make up a curriculum since the teachers from previous years took all their work with them in protest to the awful administration of this school! I caution you if you are a parent don't send your children to this school you are throwing your money and if you are looking to teach.... if you want to be treated like a "worker" and not a professional by all means work there. You have a one hour ride from your awful accommodation in International City (the ghetto) in the morning and the afternoon, poorly paid and no professional development. This school must be shut down! It is a disgrace to all educators!
momdadteach
visitor

Postby RandaHarke » 29 May 2010, 12:02

Hopefully, their days will soon be at an end. They hired a white face prop to stand at the front gate and act like a principal and tried to give the school some credibility but no substance. Problem is his credentials are unverifiable so Nibras had to employ him under their corporate cover.
I was there during the KHDA audit and can tell you the secondary group exposed a lot of the school's shortcomings while at the same time convincing the auditors that we had the solutions to the school's problems. They believed us. Problem is that Nibras started firing the ones who could turn the school around. The school director did everything in his power to divide the staff and bring the school down. The death nail was when the best left to go to Abu Dhabi and work for other schools. They burned so many on their leaving benefits that it redefined the definition of bad management.
RandaHarke
visitor

Postby unsatified » 29 Aug 2010, 11:01

Do not know what's going on at Nibras. Many complaints have come in regarding the school's management. Many teachers left at the end of the year and a few more just decided not to come back.There have been a lot of issues for techers and especially regarding their accommodation and salaries. Something needs to be done as the teachers are giving their best but are not treated fairly.
unsatified

Postby js » 24 May 2011, 11:29

Nibras International School

I am very familiar with this school and if you want your kids to be in a safe, enriching environment, this is not a school to do that.

They claim to be an “American” curriculum school, but they have zero standards that they use. At one point, they were using an Australian software to generate their curriculum and standards. The teachers use their books to come up with their standards and curriculum.

There teacher turnover rate is especially high because the adminsitration is so poor. They get rid of highly qualified American teachers to hire 2nd rate teachers so they can pay them less. The school accomodation is in International City, next to the sewage treatment plant. They treat their teachers and staff like some slaves who are entitled to be a part of the school system.

The principal essentially has no say or voice over the owner. He is just there because he is American and can be a good face for the school. He doesn’t plan anything or put any effort to better the school is anyway. The owner comes maybe once every two weeks. At times, the owner outright refuses to talk to employees and teachers, when at the beginning of the year he happily stated that he would talk to anyone at anytime.

The administration and “supervisors” have no idea what the UAE laws are and tell the staff to research it on their own and come back to them with the answers. When that happens and you show them that something is not right, they brush it under the rug and pretend like they never saw it.

There is no school wide discipline policy that is instated with the children. They can really get away with anything. A few weeks ago, a few high school kids were caught drinking alcohol in the school. 1 kid got sent with the police and the others called their parents and went back to class as if nothing happened.

This is their “school mission”…..

All traditions and nationalities are respected.- Unless you’re from Israel. Or unless your handicapped, but I guess that’s just a UAE thing, not a school thing.

All students experience a safe and supportive environment.- This goes back to the discipline policy which is not in effect.

All students receive the needed academic support to be successful.- There is no ESL, language, or support area. Children who need extra academic support cannot get the help they need. There are random teachers who will sit with those kids when they are free and available, not consistently and are not trained for that special education. Those kids just float through the system and magically pass all classes at the end of the year and move on to the next grade.

All parents consider themselves as members of the “school community.”- Yeah, they consider themselves as a part of the community, especially when it comes to gossiping and reporting back to the owner of the school, not trying to help the teachers but to make it harder on them.

All students have access to extracurricular activities.- Not for the 1st – 3rd graders. During their “activity” they have to stay in the classroom, while the whole school gets to pick clubs that they want to be a part of.

Teachers are provided with the needed tools to help students be successful.- This is definitely not the case. Teachers have limited resource books. They don’t even have all the teachers’ manuals for the books in their classrooms. There are no computers, overheads or projectors to incorporate IT in the classroom.
js

Re: Nibras International School NIS reviews

Postby TEACHER123 » 22 Aug 2011, 10:03

I am actually a teacher at this school, I would like to start by saying that every school in Dubai has issues and I totally agree that Nibras has its fair share of them. However, I would also like to point out that many of the people who have commented on this forum are ex NIS teachers who have had their contracts terminated as a result of poor teaching and performance. I think it is great that the school realises that poor teachers should not be retained but rather replaced. I have worked among and seen some of the poorest quality teachers since working at Nibras and I am so happy to see that they have been changed. The majority of staff at NIS, will do all they can for the children and the relationships they build with them are wonderful.I can happily say on behalf of many of the current teachers that we all want the best for every pupil and will go out of our way to help and support them.

Children cannot do what they want as previously reported, there is a system in place to ensure that behaviour management is key. On many occasions the behaviour and manners of NIS children has been praised by outside companies and visitors to the school. Children who break any of the rules in place are always dealt with accordingly.

Nibras International School has progressed immensly since it first opened and the increase in pupil intake this year is a fantastic representation of how the school is growing. There have been some fantastic changes made and introduced over the summer holidays at the school, some great teachers have been hired and I am positive that the academic year ahead is going to be a positive one.

So my advice to you reading anything on these forums is to consider whether or not the people who are writing all of the negative comments are doing it for the benefit of the current parents and prospective parents who are essentially going to be reading this, or whether it is just a negative attack on the school in return of a well deserved termination of employment. The school has issues and problems it needs to work on but what school in Dubai doesn't? I am by no means saying that NIS is an outstanding school because quite frankly it isn't, but it definitely has many positive points that unfortunately are not always recognised.
TEACHER123

Postby Parent3 » 18 Oct 2011, 18:29

As a current parent, this school is horrible! Teachers have no control over students! Fighting, bullying, screaming, swearing, crawling thru windows. Principal has no idea, his Assts do nothing. Minors are given out like candy to no consequence! Major aren't followed thru with! Lessons are 1-3 yrs beneath what they should be! We're home schooling on top of this, our kids are falling behind a normal American cirriculum! Our kids will be educated elsewhere next year!
Parent3

Postby unhappy » 19 Dec 2011, 11:05

Nibras again has been under investigation of deducting teacher's salaries without checking properly and informing the teachers before hand to see if it is valid. It seems to be getting worse and worse.

There is no medical insurance and the teachers who do not have cars have to take a taxi(90Dhr )to a Government Medical facility pay the consultation fees medicine and then back so in the end the expenses extra for them is about 400-500 Dhr. If they do not go to a Government Institution they loose one day's wages. This is absolutely disgusting.

One teacher left 2 weeks ago by leaving on the spot as after 3 months she still did not receive her school contract. Many teachers only received their school contracts last week when these issues were raised with Ministry of Labor and Ministry of Education and are now being asked to sign a contract with many issues in it which the teachers are not happy with.They know if they sign they are bound for 2 years if they dont they loose their job...so what to do?

The Ministry of Labor came to visit the school and what the outcome will be we will have to wait and see.One thing is for sure that many good old as well as new teachers who just started this year will be leaving at the end of the year. Again new teachers will come with expectations just to fall into the same trap.

This is so sad because in the end it is the children who are suffering and after all this is what education is all about not to benefit financially at the cost of the children and school. These are just a few of the issues that are going on at the school.
unhappy

Postby disappointed » 19 Dec 2011, 22:46

For most people in Dubai the comments on this site go unnoticed or you read that there are problems wherevever you go or are employed . The comments posted on this site are true to form. You should take notice before you send your children to this school or become employed by this organization.

One can see there has been upheaval in this school for sometime now and it is not changing. Every year promises are made and not kept. This is a business not a place of higher learning.

Nibras International School is nothing more then a money making business; a front for business.

Staff and students are treated unfaily from the administration and owner, in fact the administration is not degree qualified to be administration. The only administration officier that is qualified to be there is Dr. Black the others do not have a masters in administration. Some of the teachers have more education and higher degrees then the individuals running the school.

Educators are not paid fairly for work and they are deducted salary at the discretion to the administration. The principle of the school is a man without power and merely a face for the American based school.(everything is decided and run by the owner)(parent committee is not informed of anything or asked to be a part of the decision making process)

There is no curriculum, and teachers are asked to make one up. There is no resources for the students and teachers and what there is (internet) is monitored and restricted by the administration. The administration monitors everything incase there is a cost incurred. Students have no extra curricular activities and no say in what happens in the school.

There was a company hired to offer sports at the beginning of the year, however because of cost that too was terminated. There is no cultural activities (music or drama or art for the upper grades)

Students are told what to do, and recieve disciplinary measures for example: ( chewing gum and expressing an opinion.)

Teachers also recieve punitary measures in the form of a warning or money for allowing students some freedom.( teachers have become disciplinary police in the hallways and classroom.) Staff are uneasy about work as they are usually from America, Britian, Australia and other western countries. The staff is well qualified and enjoy working with the students. They are however mico managed by the administration who has less experience and less education. The staff is treated like children and told what to do and how to teach.

The atmosphere is both negative and unorganized. I myself am pulling my children from the school as soon as possible. I understand that the school is now in dispute with the teachers, staff, the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Labour and the Parents.

The unfair treatment has caused the staff to feel uneasy and uninterested in teaching to their full potential. This has a direct inpact on the students as they also are feeling unsettled and uninterested in learning. As a member of the parent committee i can tell you promises were made, but not kept.

Teachers were without a contract until the misnister of labour was contacted last week. Upon recieving the contract it was discovered that the contract from the school directly contradicted the minsistry of Education contract and was unacceptable for teachers to sign.(ie no medical which was promised)(salary can be deducted by the administration at their discretion anytime)

There must be some kind of middle ground between business and education.
disappointed

Postby parent 678 » 20 Dec 2011, 11:46

It has just come to our attention what is happening at the school regarding the teachers. We are very concerned as our children are caught up in the middle. What is happening and why is nothing being done? It seems that there have been problems at the school for as early as 2008 and still it is going on.Is this just about the money for the school or is it about our children suffering having different teachers or no teacher at all? Is there nobody out there that can help? and put an end to this.....if not this is going to continue and for sure i' m taking my children somewhere else and i know of many parents in the community that feels the same way.
parent 678

Postby Noblesse1 » 31 Mar 2012, 23:50

Our school in the Philippines recently hired John Black as its headmaster. The photos are definitely of the same man. In the UAE, he called himself **Dr.** Black, now he only calls himself **Mr.**Black. This combined with earlier comments about unverifiable credentials has us worried. Can anyone tell us the conditions under which he left Nibras International School?
Noblesse1
visitor

Postby js123 » 18 Apr 2012, 14:11

TEACHER123 wrote:So my advice to you reading anything on these forums is to consider whether or not the people who are writing all of the negative comments are doing it for the benefit of the current parents and prospective parents who are essentially going to be reading this, or whether it is just a negative attack on the school in return of a well deserved termination of employment.

it is obviously for the benefit of the families who are considering the school. it's upsetting because they dont know how many families and kids' education they are ruining because of their inconsistency and lack of management.
Last edited by js123 on 18 Apr 2012, 14:18, edited 1 time in total.
js123
backpacker

Postby js123 » 18 Apr 2012, 14:12

Noblesse1 wrote:Can anyone tell us the conditions under which he left Nibras International School?

he left with no word and no say. the staff/families have no idea where he went. his car is still in the parking lot. his office is closed and no one is saying anything. currently, the owner who is a lebanese business man is trying to run the school but cannot since he has zero experience. what school are you at? where in the Philippines?

[edit by moderator]Part of comment removed - talking about other people's personal relationships or private lives is not appropriate for this forum. Please see forum guidelines.[/edit]
js123
backpacker

Nibras

Postby Victoria602 » 18 Apr 2012, 19:39

I have read the posts about Nibras International School. Could someone who currently works there please provide to me an objective, honest view of how the school is? I may be offered a job there in the primary school for next year.

Thanks
Victoria602
visitor

Postby Noblesse1 » 18 Apr 2012, 20:59

js123 wrote:he left with no word and no say. the staff/families have no idea where he went.

He is at Noblesse International School in Angeles City, Philippines. The school website is www.nis.com.ph

A critical website is www.noblesseinternationalschool.com

He and/or the school have put very little information about him out there, which is what made me suspect that something was up. He also stopped calling himself Dr. Black, and is now just Mr. Black. This most likely means that he was never a Dr. and just made up the Ph.D. credential. The international circuit is filled with con artists like this. Noblesse International School seems to attract a large amount of them.

Thanks for the information!
Noblesse1
visitor

Re: Nibras

Postby js123 » 19 Apr 2012, 10:13

Victoria602 wrote:Could someone who currently works there please provide to me an objective, honest view of how the school is?

I think everyone's being honest and objective, except Teacher123, they are in some denile bubble. There is no management, no administration, no rights of teachers. They were giving teachers fake contracts. Save yourself the frustration. There are FAR better schools if you want to teach in Dubai. Universal, American, DIA, dess, Jess, gems. Read this page, it's about a school in the Philipines but it's exactly what Nibras faculty go through. Substitute Dubai and Nibras for all the Philipines and Nobelesse.

www.noblesseinternationalschool.com/employment-at-nis
Last edited by js123 on 19 Apr 2012, 10:28, edited 2 times in total.
js123
backpacker

Postby js123 » 19 Apr 2012, 10:25

Noblesse1 wrote:He is at Noblesse International School in Angeles City, Philippines.

How ironic that he went from one NIS to another. I read the noblesse website, it sounds exactly like dubai's NIS!
js123
backpacker

Postby Orange33 » 28 Apr 2012, 02:50

Hi Victoria603

I currently work at Nibras as an elementary teacher.
All the things you have read about the school being disorganized and administration failing to do their jobs is accurate.
Just before our winter holiday, the principal traveled to America under the prelude that he had a family emergency. He was never seen nor heard from again.
This past week (April 24th) the school hired a new principal from the UK.

I've had a chance to speak with the new principal regarding my many concerns for the school, and addressed the strengths of the school. After meeting with her, I feel MUCH better about where things are going. She is well qualified, professional, firm, fair, and honest. She intends to spend the rest of this academic year completing her investigation of the school, setting up new structures for the staff, and identifying the most pressing needs of the community.

Problems I find with the school are: lack of resources, unprofessional teachers, and lack of support from administration. The first and third are already being addressed and fixed by the new principal. The second will resolve itself over time. If you do accept a position with Nibras for the upcoming school year, I advise you request to be in a grade level other than grade 3. The two most unprofessional, petty staff members who regularly attempt to bully other teachers are intending to continue their contracts into next year, teaching 3rd grade.

The elementary school has an amazing learning community, with fantastic students, and very supportive parents. When teaching in my own classroom, and collaborating with parents of my students, I felt valued and respected. I really believe that with the new leadership, things will improve dramatically.

Good luck!
Orange33
visitor

Postby js123 » 29 Apr 2012, 21:18

Unfortunately, everything is based off the owner, no matter how good the principal seems or is, the owner is still a pain in the...business man. She may be good but won't have any say.
js123
backpacker

Postby Victoria602 » 02 May 2012, 01:27

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback on the school...both good and bad. I've never been in a school where everything is perfect. All schools have issues and it is good to know what they are specifically when making personal career decisions. Thanks again for the feedback and I will continue monitoring this site for more information.

Have a good remainder of the school year and I wish you all the best.
Victoria602
visitor

Postby shawarma » 28 Feb 2013, 00:10

Post from 30 Jan 2013 moved to moderator forum pending review. Opinions stated as facts, and unverifiable.

Follow up post also moved since it relates to previous post.
shawarma

Postby hussain37 » 12 Jun 2014, 11:31

I have read the reviews about NIS Dubai. Could someone who currently works there please provide honest view of how the school is?
I may be offered a job there in the Middle school for next year.
hussain37
visitor

Next

Return to Schools in Dubai